Computer wont boot properly??? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooka

Baseband Member
I have just built a new system, put everything together, installed windows xp. Everything was working fine. I turned it on the next day and it goes to boot windows and the screen is just black?? It seems like it is in windows because the hard drive has activity? I have ruled out video card problems, and monitor. But the weird thing is it sometimes boots windows normally??? So someone plz help!!

System Specs:
P4 3.0Ghz
512 Ram
Gigabyte Mobo
Geforce 4 64mb
Windows XP Home

Yeh ive tested it with 2 different AGP cards. Havent tried a PCI slot yet. But it still works?? So...

well if the specs listed are the same comp. you have listed in your sig...I would check the jumper settings on your HDD's

From what you explained it sounds like windows is just messed up. I would sugest using the recovery console on the windows install cd to fix your mbr and boot files. To get to the recovery console boot from your windows xp install cd. At one point it will say press r to repair. When you see that press r. It will then take you to a black console screen. Just follow the onscreen instructions. Once you get to a dos prompt you will want to run the command fixboot and fixmbr. If those commands don't work type in help and look for ones similar to those. Its been a while since I have had to do this so I might not remember them exactly. I hope this helps and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom