Boot Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

UezeU

Beta member
Helping out a friend with this and can't seem to solve the problem.

HP 734n 2400XP TB
512MB ram
nvidia 440mx
wd 80gig

I reinstalled XP on this computer after a severe viral infection and it worked perfect for two days. It then froze up and every time she tried to reboot it went into a reboot loop. Threw in a copy of Knoppix and it also failed to boot. Tried to reinstall XP and it hangs also. Threw in my copy of UBCD and ran mem and harddisk utilities and found hardly anything wrong. One of the disk scanners found 1 bad sector but two others found none. Put in an old 40 gig I had sittin around and still no change. Finally I thought to run Knoppix in debug mode and it is hanging because of "lost interrupts" to all drives hda, hdb, hdc, etc. Searched the web but found nothing useful. Anyone out there smarter than me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's bad ram. The virus had nothing to do with this problem. The reinstall had nothing to do with this problem. The RAM in the PC has gone bad, it happens. Try replacing it into anothe computer and I can almost guarentee that it will do a boot loop as well. I have worn out 3 sets of ram in my PC and the same thing happens every time. Sucks I know but at least its something easy to fix.

Can the ram be bad even if it passes memtests. And I should add that the comp POSTS. It is just high level programs that hang it.

Yes it can. When my RAM has gone back I get all the way to the windows loading screen before the reboot happens. I see the little bar start moving then BAM reboot. every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom