Have i buggered my pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ploppy1999

Beta member
My buddy wanted my spare dvd drive so asked my brother to take it out of the pc and have it ready for me but i found out he took it out while the pc was still on and now the computer is running really slow, it still works hence i'm here but it's just so slow will puting it back in fix the problem?

Well try defraging the PC. Also check your task manager and see if there is any process that is running and taking up alot of memory. Pulling out a drive will not slow down a computer. The only way this is possible is if you cables weren't connected in the right order. But if its functioning then the order is correct.

done the defrag said it needed doing but i can't tell much of a difference, is there a site which has all the proesses that i need to keep on coz knowing me i'll shut down the wrong one

I don't think "you" buggered your PC, but your brother certainly did.

No, although removing an EIDE drive while the PC is running, is not recommened, it shouldn't actually make your PC run slow or slower after this is done. Removing an EIDE drive while windows is running might have caused some type of error in windows. EIDE drives are not hotswappable, nor, can they be, "removeable drives".

I would recommend that you open up the PC. Look for a small silver battery. It looks similar to a BIG watch battery. Remove that battery for 10 minutes or so. Then pop it back in. This will clear the CMOS and return all of the BIOS settings back to default. Which could be your problem. Your BIOS could be in flux stumped still thinking that the EIDE drive is still there... Yet it's not.
MAKE SURE YOUR PC IS OFF AND UNPLUGGED FROM A POWER SOURCE!!!! Then reboot your PC and let it P.O.S.T. Allow it to boot to windows. Let me know what happens...

Thats just going to reset your BIOS, Havok. And as far as processes if you happen to shut down the wrong one, just reboot and it will be back up and running. But just try to shut down the ones that are using alot of memory and should shouldn't kill anything of importance.

Texas Heat said:
Thats just going to reset your BIOS, Havok. And as far as processes if you happen to shut down the wrong one, just reboot and it will be back up and running. But just try to shut down the ones that are using alot of memory and should shouldn't kill anything of importance.

I know what it does Texas or I wouldn't have recommeneded it.

His original problem was removal of a hardware device which the PC & Operating system were still running. Which caused unexpected slowness of his operating system.

BIOS > CMOS > OS > DEVICES

You start at the beginning of the ladder to troubleshoot in this case.

too many processes, yes, will slow down a PC by occupying too much system RAM. True. But, in this case, an EIDE drive was removed unproperly. While the PC & OS were running. This could cause all kinds of problems... And obviously did.

Well how is it going to speed up the windows if the BIOS is reset, maybe you know something I don't.

Check your device manager for that DVD drive, if it's still there (probably with an error) uninstall the drivers associated with it, and then delete the device from the device manager. Reboot and see if that helps.

Texas Heat said:
Well how is it going to speed up the windows if the BIOS is reset, maybe you know something I don't.

It's not going to speed up windows. I'm not trying to help him speed up windows. I'm trying to help him find his problem. Did you even read his whole post? You probably didn't.

He didn't say, "Hey, i've been running my PC with windows for awhile now and all of a sudden it's gotten really slow." What can I do?

Answer, adware, spyware, viruses, shutdown processes.... E.T.C
Yes.

But not in this case dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom