How Much Longer For AGP Video Card?

How great is Tech-forums?

• It totally rocks!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its the best of all forums

• The above 100,000,000,000,000 times :)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
PCI Express hit the IT market late last year.
By the beginning of 2005, PCI Express was avalable for both Intel and AMD Platforms.
By April 2006, a lot of the motherboard manufacturers stop producting Medium to High End Motherboard with AGP Slots in on them.

The big questions is this, when will it be likely that the video card chipset manufacturers (ATI / nVIDIA) and the magority Video Card Manufacturors will stop producting AGP Video Videos Cards?

I don't dought that there will be some APG videos card for the next few years to come, but they are only going to be out of the market for people that need repair work done. And they will be some rather low end chipset. Eg. GF4MX4000 or GF5200 chipset.

The only reason why you can still pick up a PCI GF5700 128Mb card these days is that you have manufactures like Janton that is cashing in on that niche market that purchase cheap Persarios, Dells and Pervillions that do not have a AGP slot. However there still a lot of other cards that you can use for PCI, enhence the reason why it's there.
Not really the case with APG as APG was only use for Video Cards, therefore ulimately I give APG Video Card 3 years before they trop production of the even most basic of APG Video Card Chip Sets.

However the above poll is really there more Game Players and the People that are kicking around that current gaming rig with APG video cards for that next upgrade.

How long does APG got left in the Gamer PC Market Place?

I said 2nd quarter....it definitely seems like it may even be gone by first quarter considering I don't think these latest cards will be made in AGP, but I figured by 2nd quarter it'll definitely 100% be faded out

Hmmm, well i think that ATI and Nvidia are finished with producing new AGP cards. no 7 or 1000 series card will be AGP unless its super low-budget, and even then, i don't think that they'll be AGP. as for old hardware, they'll still exist well into 2007. if PCI video cards still exist, than AGP boards will still be availible for purchase, but it will be old hardware, Xx00/6-series and below.

Well, I voted for Xmas 2005 as AGP has already been discontinued as far as the 'high-end' desktop market is concerned by the looks of it. No AGP 7800 or X1800 series are planned, tell me if I'm wrong...

As others have said, budget line-ups for the AGP bus are still inevitable though.

AGP has already been discontinued. In fact, its amazing how fast they killed it off. It makes me mad because the only upgrade I really need is my graphics card, but because of their hunger for money and promotion of SLI, I am going to have to build a whole new system before i can upgrade my graphics card.

i said 2nd quarter. Seems like a resonable time slot for the phase out. But i am buying my AGP 6600gt then not worrying about upgrades for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom