SMS 2003 Gurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inaris thank you very much for the response! It answered many questions. I think I might just abuse my power and have our part-time techy go and manually enter the site code on each PC..haha. j/k.

Currently I have it set to AD discovery. Ok thanks for the info with the membership rule I was able to add the 2nd PC into my test collection easily.

As for the advertiesment Inaris could you perhaps go into some detail?Basically lets say I have my collection with 2 people in it. I have 5 packages advertised that are security updates. When the schedule triggers say every 2 hours and my System Status\Advertisement Status goes from say 1 programs started and 1 program success for my packages then they all change to 2 then another 2 hours 3, then 4..etc.. Does this mean it is actually re-installing these 5 patches over and over? The count keeps going up each time the package is advertised via its schedule.

The first time it runs it is successful as my software updates section goes from requested to compliant with the specified patches. thanks again for the info!

Another question while I am thinkin about it...when the patches/software is deployed to clients it does not show up on the clients add/remove programs list. How would one uninstall the program via SMS or another method that was pushed out by SMS, but yet not listed in the add/remove section on clients? thanks!

That does sound like a missconfigured advertisement. I'll have to take a look in the morning as I'm out of the office, and I don't recall how we set that up off hand. We actually had an MS guy here for a few days, and even he said to use WSUS if you could. The SMS stuff isn't ready yet... :)
Also, just as a thought, how is the advertisement assinged? is it based on a compliance query or just sent to the group?

As to the add/remove programs, that I'm confiused on. It should show up as a hotfix. Not sure why it wouldn't. Can you send me the IPF you used? Or explain how you "Packaged" them...

Yea I sent the updates to an entire collection. The way I created the package was by going off the list of "software updates" which is one of the icons in the main admin console. That tells me which updates are needed by clients. I right click on the needed update and select "All tasks>distribute software updates".

This then brings me to the screen where I name the package download the source files from the MS site etc etc..then once the package is created and up to the DP I create the advertisement for it. This was a method that I learned from the video training series my company signed me up for at www.learnsms.com

I am testing an SP2 deployment and I will see if that shows up in Add/Remove programs list on the test client. This really is a neat tool!

I'll have to look at what we did. Been doing too much stuff of late, so I don't remember all of it. I'll post what I can tomorrow on the updates...

I also have some stuff you might like on SP2 deployments. I'll see if I can find the links and send them to you.

Ok Inaris ignore my request about the add/remove programs issue..lol..It was my dumb ass fault. In XP you have to select "show updates" I never knew what it was for, but I do now :) It shows all the MS updates including hot fixes..hahah I feel like such as ass.

glad you found it. I just got in the office, and was starting to look at the other stuff for you.

We all have our days...

Hey Inaris..on this training I Have they have a little tool they created to trigger policy actions on a client machine to get data to the database quicker. I E-Mailed the person, but he said it is only an internal tool and not for download. You have anything as simple of that tool? All he did was enter the name PC-NAME then select the boxes to trigger "hardware inventory" "machine policy" and hit a button labeled kick policy. This would be useful for my testing instead of having to go to the machines and trigger them manually...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom