6600GT Bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
My younger brother has been pestering me for the past few days that he needs a new video card. He's sick of the fact that he can't play Battlefield 2 on his PC, and wants a card that can. (He's been playing it on mine, and I always kick him off) Anyways, he's running a XP 2400+ if im correct, which isn't great, but its not terrible. I also think hes running 1GB of PC2700 DDR on WinXP Pro. His current card is a badly out-dated, 64MB GeForce4 MX440. So I was thinking a 6600GT would give him a huge boost in speed, but I don't if the rest of the system would be able to keep up with it. Will it? I Assume his Motherboard is an 8X AGP board, at least I hope it is, ill check later. It sure hope its not 4X.

Anyways, do you think that his system would be able to keep up with a 6600GT, or should I shop a little lower, and maybe concider the 6200's? Or do you recommend something else?

Well, it's all up to who's spending the money. The 6600GT will not bottleneck on a processor like an XP 2400. That's a pretty stout processor and will get the job done. The 6200's will cost you a lot less cash, but then again, it's whoever's spending the money's decision.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think the 2400 will bottleneck the 6600GT.

Ryan

Well, I don't know where the money is coming from yet. But ive always been of the opinion that you should always buy the best you can afford. Meaning don't go cheap just so you have a few bucks to stop off at Burger King on the way home from work lol.

Blackmoore said:
Well, I don't know where the money is coming from yet. But ive always been of the opinion that you should always buy the best you can afford. Meaning don't go cheap just so you have a few bucks to stop off at Burger King on the way home from work lol.

Wow, someone who thinks like me......i'd get him a 6600gt...youll both be happy....but dont expect high settings on that game...

6600 GT will be a good choice. You could save cash and get him a 6200, but it would be all the sooner he would need a new card. The 6600GT will play all new games at reasonable settings, but from the sound of it I dont assume he's demanding to max the game out. He will be fine with the 6600 GT and it will still serve him well for quite a while to come.

there is no 'keeping up with' going on when it comes to the graphics cards...like I've been trying to tell people, graphics don't directly communicate with system memory or CPU's like the CPU and system memory communicate with each other.

Yes of course if he had a better processor and better RAM it'd play games better....but that applies to any card you get.

Run a program like 3dmark05 which is solely GPU based and I can pretty much guarantee you his score won't be ridiculously lower compared to lets say and AMD64 3200+ with 1gb of PC3200

AMD64 system would get like, 3500 or something, he might get 3100 (just guestimates off the top of my head, don't quote me) so that card would be fine for his system...he can always upgrade a little later...or go with a XP-Mobile and OC the crap out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom