Cutting the case... maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
I'm toying with the idea of adding an exaust fan on top of my case (hot air rises), problem is, I'd have to cut a hole myself. I've never done any case modding of that sort before. Has anyone here done anything like this? What exactly does it involve? What tools would I need?

My dad give me one of these for christmas last year.
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36843&highlight=DeWalt

Here's the part numbers for the Hole Saw.
#D180048 3-1/8 (76mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 80mm Fan
#D180072 4-1/2 (114mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 120mm Fans.

The whole saw is AU$40 ea
However you need to spend another AU$40 on a mandrel.

After that, you need a good quality power drill.

After cutting the hole, you would want to use a Power Filer to dull the sharp edge that is around the hole that has been cut.

If you do not have a AU$80 for the DeWalt Gear, then you can get a cheaper concrete hole saw. However I have been warned that since they are designed for Concrete, they might shatter if you use them on metal.
And even if they don't shatter, the blade will dull very quickly.

Otherwise, there is using a jig saw. Mark down your circle. Then drill a few holes with a power drill. Then cut the rest of the circle out with a jig saw.
Make sure you are using blades that are make for metal

Also where protective eye gear. Last thing you want is piece of metal getting stuck in your eye.

just what i was going to say

I used one of the hole saws on a case to cut a whopping 11 80mm fan holes and at the end it had dulled slightly but was still cutting

this was a good 1.5mm steel so
I can forgive the dulling

Don't forget to leave room between the edge of the hole and the PSU for the ege of the fan.

It'd suck to cut the case, only to find that you're about a 1/4" too close...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom