Building a Dream : Documented?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just stick with Nvidia this time because their SLI is tried and true. its reliable, and less messy than Crossfire. not only that, but Crossfire Master cards are near impossible to find. and knowing ATI, they won't release master cards till 4 months after the X1800XT is released.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
I'd just stick with Nvidia this time because their SLI is tried and true. its reliable, and less messy than Crossfire. not only that, but Crossfire Master cards are near impossible to find. and knowing ATI, they won't release master cards till 4 months after the X1800XT is released.

uh... you can use all of the new ATI cards for crossfire. They are all mastercards...

SLI is tried and true? And how did it get tried? People had to try it right? That means people had to buy into it? Right? SLI was full of holes and bugs when it first became available. I wouldn't even venture to say that it has all of the kinks worked out of it yet.

Why is crossfire messy? It's not even available yet? It's a lot less messy then SLI where up until now you've needed to have two identical cards. And how about the BRIDGE CHIP that makes the use of the PCI slots if they are between the cards unusable.

And how about the fact that there are very, very few games that actually support SLI? Why? Because NVIDIA actually has to write specific driver profiles for each game in order to support SLI in gameplay? Which they haven't done but for a handful of games. Like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Farcry, painkiller and sims 2. They've got a few blockbusters in there, but nothing close to enough.

I don't know. I like both. I'm not a fan boy either way. But, I can't stand people that are. Both companies make good GPU's, they both have good technology. Niether are perfect, one isn't better then the other...

WELL IMO

if I had to choose between SLI and crossfire, I'd probabbly say SLI.

I've heard that the maximum you can have is 1600x1200 @ 60HZ using crossfire, because it uses the VGA cable to link them. the SLI bridge is much faster than the VGA cable.

and I've heard the new Nvidia drivers actually do support different cards (like 6600 + 6800) in SLI, I think they're forceware version 81.xx. they also take advantage of dual core processors - yes, video cards rely on CPU's, to make the polygons and stuff. the video card(s) just colour them.

now I'm not saying I think SLI is really great, but from what I've seen, I do prefer it over crossfire.

I'm not sure whether I think the 7800's or X1800's are better as of yet. I hope ATI does win this round, they need it after last round. because then Nvidia might start a monopoly on video cards, thus not actually try to make better cards, but get more sales. although I think having 24 pipelines is the better thing to do than boosting up clock speeds like the R520. reminds me of Netburst (Pentium 4/Xeon)

Now, I think i'm going to wait until after christmas time to build this machine. I've been reading on various forums and websites that there are all kinds of new things coming out.

CPU's:
AMD will release the FX-59 in a few months... reports of stock 3.0ghz... slight more expensive then FX-57, which I already have, but could easily sell on EBAY for a good price.

Motherboards:
NF4 - SLI boards will start becoming available with 32x PCIexpress bandwidth.

Videocards:
ATI & NVIDIA - refresher cards available after DECEMBER.

Other:
PPU's could be available after december also.

I'll wait a few more months... I don't want to , but I guess it's the smartest thing to do. right?

As long as this system is built for UNREAL 2007... that's all that matters to me... I'm an UNREAL freak... I love UNREAL games...

yeah man i think you should document the build, i have no experience in building a pc and would really appreciate a thread based on just that, with pics and explainations. not too detailed though

Yeah.. Keep the overclocking pics/explainations for another time. Just show them:

1) Warnings, things to worry about, equipment, etc. - e.g. anti static wrist
2) Getting stuff out of the packaging
3) Inserting RAM/CPU/cards into mobo
4) Applying AS5 and heatsink
5) Inserting mobo into case, PSU, etc.
6) Other odds and ends..

Jumpers/water-cooling and what not, you should leave for round #2 man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom