video card power connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabyte800

Baseband Member
I'm putting together my new system (first-time builder), and I find that my GeForce 6800GT has a power cable that splits into two 3-pin connectors. Am I to connect both of these to the PSU, or is this for those who are doing the SLI thing? Wouldn't want to have my shiney new rig explode as soon as I turn it on.

Thanks in advance.

For anyone interested, this is the build:

Athlon 64 3700+ (/w stock heatsink)

XFX GeForce 6800GT 256MB PCI-E

AOpen NCK804Ua S939 nForce4 Ultra

1GB DDR400 Patriot RAM

120GB PATA HD (I know, SATA is better, but I'm using the drive from my last system.)

HEHE, well I am running an AGP PNY 6800GT and it has a molex connecter. I am not to sure, about your connections seeing as how i've never played with SLI. I am assuming if they look exactly alike, it's probably to power the other video card, unless on the card there is two connections to power up the card, then plug er in.

PCI-E cards have a different power connector not your normal molex connector. It's not two 3pin connectors, it's a single 6pin PCI-E power connector.

Most 6800GT's come with a 6pin PCI-E power connector that splits off into 2 regular 4pin molex connectors and that's what powers your card.

Yeah, I kinda figured that they were both supposed to be jacked in, seeing as how this card even *looks* like it sucks a lot of power, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks a lot.

Yup....when these cards first came out there were countless threads of people having issues with the cards, only to find out they didnt bother plugging in the power :p

As a side note, you should use 2 SEPERATE lines from the PSU, not just 2 off the same line.

CONNECTORS ROCK!!! YEAAAAAH WOOOOOOOHHOOOOO!!!!!

(just had to make 10K somewhat special :p)

INCIDENTALLY

I don't use two seperate lines from my PSU...essentially it's all the same anyway, if you used two seperate lines, chances are you'd need to run things off one of the connectors on those lines anyway which could potentially be worse...mines has had no probs and hell this card OC's better than the last

10,000 posts :eek: Congrats man :D

Message from your 6800GT manufacturer: It is advised to use dedicated lines from your PSU for EACH power connector. The use of a single line may result in your card spontaneously combusting, exploding, melting, or otherwise degrading the performance of your nvidia product. Thank you for choosing nvidia!

Hey man, I am just following directions :amazed:

:p

spontaneously combusting damn it thought it would just fry your psu.
guess that warning is for cheap psus that undervolt.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to use two dedicated lines. I got other stuff that needs juice, y'know?

My PSU is 500W, and I don't plan on OC'ing the card.

I don't know. I guess we'll see when I turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom