Chaintech CT-7KJD - max processor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoob

Beta member
Morning all,

I'm having a discussion with the company who built my PC, whoch are telling me the max processor i can put on my Chaintech CT-7KJD motherboard is an Athlon XP 1800+.
As it happens, they are the same company who built it already with an 1800+ in it

From the spec. of the motherboard, I think it might be higher than that (below spec. stripped out of documentation) and if it is possible to have a higher speed chip am going to upgrade it at the same time as i do something about the noisy fan.

Anyone out there got any views on the matter ?

-----
Socket A AMD Duron/Athlon/Athlon XP 200/266MHz FSB, ATX, AMD 761 + VIA VT8231
Supports AMDR Socket A Duron /Athlon/Althon XP CPU
System clock supports 200/266 MHz
------

Questions.

1. Who choose the motherboard? You or the company?
Did you specifically told them that you wanted a Chaintech CT-7KJD?
Or did they suggest you take a Chaintech CT-7KJD?

2. Check out Chaintech's website. Upgrading your BIOS might allow you to upgrade.

3. Check out Chaintech's website. As manufacturer's they would be the authority on that issue.

Chaintech CT-7KJD
Supported CPUs AMD Athlon/Duron (200/266MHz)
Chipset AMD 761 + VIA VT8231
FSB Frequencies 100-165MHz
Overclocking Friendly Features Supports CPU Clock Multiplier Setting and Vcore Adjustment
Memory 2 184-pin DIMM slots for PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM
Expansion Slots (AGP/PCI/ISA/ACR/CNR) 1/5/0/1/1
USB Ports 4
Integrated Graphics No
Integrated Sound 6-channel PCI controller from C-media - CMI8738
Additional Features No
BIOS Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Form-Factor ATX, 305x230mm

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/chaintech-7kjd.html

^here is a nice little article on your mobo^

if it supports the athlon XP i would assume it supports anything up to the 3200, but prolly not the 64-bit chips

No, not to the 3200+, I believe that's a Barton core, with 333 or 400 mhz FSB speed. You can only have up to 266 Mhz FSB speed, which I believe the 2600+ is the last processor to have a 266 Mhz FSB. From what I've seen, the 2600+ is supported on your MB, in the 266 Mhz FSB version, but you need to flash the bios to the most current.

Aye - Chaintech website doesn't give out any clues unfortunately - no obvious BIOS updates saying -' for processors of > 1800+' etc. which is a shame - but thanks forthe inputs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom