popped my overclock cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes my head did explode. Where in the BIOS are these features? I'm assuming in the "Advanced Chipset" catagory. I apologize but it's like having to teach a 5 year old how to tie his shoes for the first time. I have played with the x4 (LTD) a little, but what is this other number (250)?

So far I have successfully gotten my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ from 2.0 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz without a crash and 20 succesful minutes of Prime95. I'm maxed out on my motherboard's CPU voltage option (1.7v) and cannot go to 2.5 Ghz without Prime95 failing in the first minute. My LTD is at x4 and my DRAM is at 166. Those 4 things are all I've paid any attention to since I tried overclocking for the first time earlier today. Now what?

OK, I think it's time to take a step back.

You are on the high side of vcore, so watch your temps carefully. Run Prime95 for longer. 12 hours (yes 12 hours) is pretty much considered stable (btw, some go 24 hours to make sure its stable). Again, watch what your temps do under load.

I would also look at what your vcore is doing under load like I said before. It might be dropping.

But anyways, I would slow down on trying to go any higher at this point and do more stability checking. This is not supposed to be a quick process.

You need to re-read those stickies, primarily the AMD64 one where I have a link to a person who explains it very thoroughly...read those until you quote them in your sleep as all this HTT and LTD is explained.

If you say "I've read them but dont understand" then you either need to read them until you do understand as well as googling any terms you might not know, or don't bother overclocking. No I'm not trying to be an asshole or come off rude or anything, but the information is all there and if it 'doesnt make sense' then you need to either give up on overclocking or put effort into thoroughly learning it.

idiotec-

The highest my temp has gotten is 102F. What would you say is an acceptable voltage? If I can't get 2.4 Ghz without turning the voltage up to 1.6 or 1.65, then am I tweaking the wrong things?

Nubius-

Noted. Not rude, rather helpful. I couldn't see your links that you speak of unless it is just a copy and paste. I would like a re-post if possible with the links you're talking about por favore.

Nubius said:
AMD64's have an LTD Multiplyer...I forget what LTD stands for right now, but if you really want to know google it up...anywho, it's default multiplyer on socket 939 boards is 5x 200x5 = 1000x2 because of the AMD64s = your total 2000HTT you see marketed on boards. Some say 1000HTT, some say 2000HTT, esentially the 1000HTT are the 2000HTTs it's just giving you the number before the amd64s x2 is taken in.

5 x200x5 = 5000 not 1000x2 -> I am confused.

He meant 5 x 200 x 2 = 2000 which is the max you can have, 5 being the LTD, 200 being the FSB (HTT) and the 2 being what i cant remember >_< Anyways 5x200x2=2000 = 1000
4x250x2=2000 = 1000
3x300x2=1800 = 900 (Still Safe)
3x333x2=1998 = 999 (Highest safe FSB at 3x LTD)
3x334X2=2004 = 1002 (No longer safe lower the HTT down to 2x)

Be advised though that changing the LTD can corrupt the OS and software i think.... Anyways that simple?

there should have been a comma in my text, I said "The LTD bus is 5x, (<-- was missing that comma) and then was proceeding to show you where that 5x fits in.

Be advised though that changing the LTD can corrupt the OS and software i think....
Changing the LTD doesn't corrupt anything...the only time your OS gets corrupt is if you have an unstable OC and you keep getting freezes, blue screens, or something basically relating to an unstable OC....as long as you keep the LTD within what we've discussed you'll be fine

if you're talking about the overall HTT going above 2000, then yeah that could, but that would fall under the 'unstable settings' catagory

Meh, my system allways seems to stay above my 1600 at stock.... Wonder why it does that :-\ Anyways I got a corrupt system now :( Guess my overclock wasn't perfect like we though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom