A case idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 18, in college now, and have finished 2 basements ranging from my 8th grade year and wood technology classes for three years. I've been a wood-working enthusiast for about 5 years now. Like I said, I started with basement construction, but over the past 3 years have really liked building furniture more.

Ryan

cool, i have been into wood for around the last 3 years when i started woodwork at school

Dr Strangelove - i wanna see that movie

I was finishing up my woodwork project - a small box. And i was looking through the cupboards at school, and i found some scandinavian teak oil. This oil is rather interesting and gives a nice smooth matte finish. You need to laquer with 2 coats of thick (non thinned down) laquer. Then you get steel wool and coat in oil and rub in. Eventually you get this lovely smooth matte finish.

with steel wool?? That's an abrasive! Maybe you should apply it with a lint-free rag... I think you might never quite get that finish you want with steel wool.

Ryan

I think what he was saying is that he put two coats on, then used the steel wool to take off the excess because of all the little canyons in the wood, so that it would be a perfectly smooth surface, then apply a thin light coat to make it perfect.... But yea applying it WITH steel wool? Wouldn't work out so well.... Meh my woodshop class used sprayers and shit... 10 coats of something on my jewelry box i made last month >_< Damned shop teacher won't let me near that machine or tell me what kinda finish he is using :(

no, this oil is rather special. You are supposed to do it that way as i was instructed by the tin and my teacher. Worked really nicely.

That sounds more like oil based varnish. That stuff spreads out and makes itself smooth... wow, I wouldn't feel comfortable applying that at all. Cause I always use poly minwax finish. I apply 1 thick coat or 2 medium coats, wet sand, then apply my final coat of minwax poly.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom