AGP VS PCI-E, what type of "REAL LIFE" improvement do you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comptech

Baseband Member
AGP VS PCI-E, what type of "REAL LIFE" improvement do you get?

I know you get double the bandwigth, but how will it improve your gaming experience? how much more frames a sec. do you get? Where can you go to found benchmark of AGP VS PCI-E?

Not really any improvement at all, but we all use it because AGP is being slowley killed off.

The bandwidth in AGP 8x has not been fully utilized yet but like 003 said, we are using it now because AGP is being phased out.

exactly. They're killing the AGP before it becomes an issue when the video cards WILL need more speed than the AGP slot can handle. PCI is not really the 'future' anymore. It's here, and will stay for quite some time.

Ryan

They are killing off AGP in order to promote SLI which only works on PCI-Ex motherboards. Because of this, AGP has joined the ranks of PCI (original) graphics and ISA modems.

All above is correct. So between, for example, an X800 XT PE (AGP) and an X800 XT PE (PCI-E), you will not see any difference. With PCI-E however, you will be able to upgrade in the future, and no AGP cards are being made anymore.

Can't get the next gen cards (7800, X1800) unless you have PCI-e. Which, you will if you're bleeding edge enough to be considering those cards right now anyway.... like me!

woot6600GT said:
Can't get the next gen cards (7800, X1800) unless you have PCI-e. Which, you will if you're bleeding edge enough to be considering those cards right now anyway.... like me!

Well, thats not necissarily true and is a very false assumption. I wouldn't consider those who built bleeding-edge systems in 2004 and their Athlon 64 3400+ class CPUs on s754 too outdated to consider a new card. Basically, all this is doing is forcing people to build new systems just to upgrade their graphics card...and so they maybe will consider SLI down the road.

What are the odds that in a few months maybe a year, they will come out with pcie2 pcie3 pcie4 just like they did with agp?
Then we are still upgrading whenever they want us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom