XP system w/o video card locks up after booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
Ok, I have an Athlon K6 333Mhz, 64MB ram and running Windows XP Pro.
I'm wanting to use it as a dial-up internet gateway for two other computers in the house. The problem with it is there is only one PCI slot and one ISA slot on the motherboard. I set the BIOS to "halt on no errors" and removed the video card (I need the PCI for the NIC, and the ISA for the modem) It boots up fine and I can connect with Remote Administrator to view the screen, however, after a minute or two, Radmin is disconnected and then a bit later the whole system drops from the network. I don't know what is causing it to drop, because once it stayed on for almost 2 hours before going down. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Does it reboot, or just crash?
Can you keep it on long enough to check out the event viewer? If so...check it out for times right sround when the system is crashing. You may want to also check out the debugging log for some other clues.

-Mike

Also, you may want to try leaving the video card in and leave the system up and running for a while. See if the same thing happens....if you can isolate the problem to be the lack of the video card (which I have doubts about) then perhaps you can get an external modem or a USB>Cat5 adapter.

-Mike

1. The system runs fine as long as the video card is in.
2. It does not reboot, just locks up with the hard drive activity light continuiosly on.
3. It only locks up after I have connected Radmin for a minute or so, and seems to be only when I open windows/dialog boxes, etc.
4. Radmin works fine when the video card is in.

I think maybe the problem has something to do with Radmin. Perhaps the method in which it captures the screen?

I will check out the error logs tomorrow when I have more time.
Thanks.

Well, after lots of experimenting, I have decided the problem lies with Remote Administrator's "full control" I can use remote telnet, file transfer, and even "view only", but when I connect using full control, it locks up. But the thing is when I first install Radmin everything works like it's supposed to, but after just one reboot, it goes back to messing up. However dropping the video card back in fixes it. Is this just Radmin or is there something I can do?
By the way, I checked the error logs and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary there (just an error about the clock not being able to update via internet)

Ok, I now have 160 megs of ram and still the same problem. It must be some sort of video problem because I tried using VNC but it still locks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom