computer stopped booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubris

Beta member
hi there friends, hope someone can help mem with my problem.
my computer, after sometimes shutting down unexpectadly for a few weeks, and now it won't boot further than the first screeens of tests etc, it now doesn't go to the win logo for exampll, when I try booting from cdrom, I have a win installation cd, it goes to the meny but then won't load the installation, both the hdd and the cdrom seems to be working, any clues?

thanks very much in advance, i really hope I can find answers to my problem here I would hate to have to give my baby, a shuttle xpl in to anyone to take apart, I have the skills to do the basic installations of hardware after working in a computer factory but fail the skills to find what the problem is when anything happens, cheers to you

Pär

I have a win installation cd, it goes to the meny but then won't load the installation,
When you say that, what do you mean? Do you get an error message, or what?

Also Mr Wizard makes a good point. Have a look in your BIOS, to see if the hard drive is being detected.

all good again, for now!

just for the record I shall tell you what happened. so, as I wrote about previously, my computer stopped booting after some time of suspect behaviour (virus?). it would just turn itself off without warning. then one day it just wouldn´t boot properly, it would stop at a blank screen after the line DMI-"whatever it sais". and when I tried to boot from a win installation disk it would go to the blank screen again just shortly after initialising the installation (probably because it was trying to access the hdd).

what I did was get some utilities and formatted my systems partition, then the win installation would run again, YEAH BABY!!!

i would still like to know what the problem might have been, was I infected with a maliscious virus? something wrong with my hdd or what was it?

thanks to all, cheers

problem sortof still there

hope anyone still checks out this thread

thing is, my computer now still restarts during startup, used to happen in the mornings, now this morning it happened again, after trying a couple of times rebooting it starts up fine.

I own a shuttle x with p4 3ghz with no extra anything inside, just an external soundcard that´s never given me any hussle before,
any ideas please?

cheers

BUT, could something like a bad CD drive, eventually make the computer not boot at all? If anyone knows, please tell!

Thank you, the answer is out there somewhere, come to me ...

PS. A friend said it might be my HD that's slowly dying. DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom