changed M/B & CPU from intel to amd and want to keep xp on hdd - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pricey

Beta member
Hi there
i want to change my system from intel p3 Motherboard and cpu to an AMD athlon Motherboard and CPU that i got from a friend.
i want to keep my old operating system (xp) on the hdd

any help or hints?

after doing the change the mb it would not boot, i set bios
i realised the chipset & ide drivers are incorrect.
how can i get xp to boot of its generic drivers (like when first installed) then i install the new drivers.

is there anyway this can be done without formating

thanks
Aaron

you could do a repair install. this will reinstall the operating system, but will keep everything else (files that aren't part of the operating system).

Good luck. A patch like this may work, but you may well have other problems down the road. It is always best to reinstall Windows (any version) when you swap out the most critical part of your system.

i friend told me to put the old board back in and uninstall everydevice in device manager, when it says please restart clock no and once everything is uninstalled shutdown the pc,
change the boards over and reboot and windows will assign drivers for everything. do you think this will work?

i think i may have tried a windows xp repair once and some programs would not work eg windows media etc. so i had to format.
are you sure this will work?

i have also been told to use sysprep / setup manager, what does this do?
so definatly - boot windows xp pro disk and then say to do fresh install then do a windows repair?
i don't want to loose any information on the hdd because this pc is not mine, its my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom