Hard drive replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blink

Solid State Member
My mother-in-laws computer went down and we couldn't get it to load up the operating system. And after scratching my head for a while and I came to the conclusion that it was the hard drive. So i replaced it with one from a old P166 Packard bell I had laying around, and got it to boot up. Only problem is its just a 4GB hdd, which leave hardly any space for anything. I would like to put a larger drive in the comp, but I'm confuse with all of the UDM, ATA, EIDE, IDE, ect ...

The old drive was a 20gb running off a EIDE contorller on Ultra DMA 33. I don't have any spec's on the 4GB hdd, but I figured the interfaces was backwards compatible so it was able to run this drive. BUT its nearly impossible to find a drive for UDMA 33 now, will one of the UDMA 100's work with this controller or will I have to buy a new controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any HD should work, even ATA 100 or 133, it will just run at 33, not the full 100 or whatever. You can get an ATA controller that will run the full speed, but you don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom