High mem usage and crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow03

Solid State Member
Everytime I run a game or a operation that requires a lot of power, my PC runs extremely slow and will sometimes crash. It says it was a problem with a device driver <blah blah blah>. This only recently became a problem.
I have scanned for viruses (Macfee, AVG) and spyware (S&D, AASE) and the only thing that came up (again) was with S&D: " FastClick" and "Avenue A inc."
In Taskmanager the svchost.exe process has been running consistently at 34,000+ Kb, explorer.exe at 32,000+ Kb and lsass.exe at 31,000+ Kb with no running apps.

Here's My Computer:

AMD Athalon XP 2200+ MSI
1.5 Gb SDRAM 40 gig HD + 160 gig 2nd HD +120 gig ex. HD
128 MB GeForce FX 5200 WinXP Home sp2

Thanks for any help you can give.

if it says it is a problem with a device driver then it is read it next time find out what part then update the driver for that part that should resolve your issue.

Thanks...will do. When it happens again, I'll let you know what it said. Is that the only thing it could be though? I still donlt understand why the svchost.exe, lsass.exe and explorer.exe (located in c:\windows\explorer.exe ... not system32...if that makes any difference) are taking up so much mem usage.

maybe the driver is causing issues there after you do update check again and see if they are still that high.

I don't know what part of what I did that fixed it, but the problem seems to have been solved. Thanks for the advice.

you know, Charles, that might have had something to do with it. Now that I think about it, other than rebooting, my computer is on a lot. Thanks for the input.

charles_scott said:
One reason they would take a lot of memory is if you keep the PC on for extended periods of time.
That really hasnt been an issue since Windows 95/98. A reboot will do you good, occasionally, though.

SVCHOST is an important system process, and usually has a few to several instances of it running at a time. SVCHOST should only be in the system32 folder, if I remember correctly. I had some spyware a while back that added another SVCHOST to my processes and found out that the one in my c:\windows folder was the culprit. Don't delete it yet, but I would definately do some research on it. You know the drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom