SMS 2003 Gurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win2kpatcher

Fully Optimized
Hello all! Is there anyone here who is familiar with SMS2003 inside and out? I could use some help if anyone is up for the challenge :) thanks!-Vince

i've been wanting to figure it out too but im also waiting to get my copy of SQL Server...im sure you do but in case you dont you do need an SQL server which sucks.

I have used it a bit. What is it that you are having problems with?
I also have at my disposal a true SMS guru, so fire away... :)

does this SMS guru of yours have ICQ or yahoo or MSN where I...or i guess we could chat with him with any questions to get us up and running faster?

ask away... We don't allow that kind of traffic on our network. sorry...

I should be able to answer almost anything you can come up with, but we'll see...

well...you'll have to wait til the weekend til i really get a LOT of questions...i know i have to have an SQL-Server setup which I'll work on this weekend so friday night or saturday you'll get my questions lol.

Hello all! Just a brief intro..First I am excited to be the lead technician on this project assigned to me. I have been going through some training and such.

The Install went great running on a DELL server dual 2.8GHZ Xeon's, 2GB RAM..Installed SQL Server 2000, Installed SQL SP4, Installed SMS 2003 with SP1, security scanning tools, SMS toolkit 2...anywho..

Questions..Advertisements.Basically for testing purposes I set all schedules very harsh about every 15 minutes. Basically I setup the security inventory tool and have software updates telling me what patches I need etc..The advertisment went good installed on my test client etc..

However the Advertisement Status has its "Program Started" at 130 and program success at 130. So basically it is running over and over due to the advetisement shcedule. Is this bad or is this normal? I mean is it installting each time? Perhaps a brief explination of how an advertisement works.

Also due to corporate restrictions (Very large enterprise) I could not extend the Schema in AD for SMS 2003. Would this explain why when I deploy an Advanced Client install whe you click on Systems Management in the control panel then advanced it has no SITE code assigned to it, but when I manually enter the site code of TDS it works fine. You can see the problem of having to do this for 300+ PC's thhough :) Also in the SMS admin console it does not show it as an installed client in the All Systems collection untill I manually enter the TDS site code on the client PC. Any workarounds for this?

thanks all!

Ohh perhaps I didnt mention. The advertisement is for a package I created which is a security patch for my Windows XP SP2 test system. I get a good status in the software updates section. It had 1=requested 0=compliant then after the advertisement was picked up from my test it was 0=requested and 1=compliant so I know it installed good.

Ok another Q..lol.. How do I add just one computer to a collection I made? I tried to drag one over from the all systems collection, but it didnt let me drag and drop. I just want to move one computer over so it can be mine and that one for testing purposes, thanks!-Vince

wow, good questions...

The Advertisment schedule should be 2 hours... That is what we use for our 2500 clients, and it seems to cover the basic.

The site assingment problem we are also having issue with. We have a call into MS for some support of it actually. For whatever reason, even with the Schema extended, it doesn't work. To get it on the machines, we use a login script that runs this. capinst.exe /ADVCLI /ADVCLICMD SMSSITECODE=SITE

where SITE is your site code. This works 100% of the time. But does require a fresh install be made. The process we use, since we upgraded most of our clients from 2.0 to 2003 carried the settings over, so we had to make a special program to manage the process. The program checks to see what version is on the machine. if it's the old version, then it's upgraded as that works well, but if it's the new version, first we run Tranguid which captures the SMSID from the install and saves it to a location. Then we run the Capinst.exe and reapply the SMSID when Done. That allows for a properly configured client using an existing smsid. Now you can simply remove the old client too, as that would work, so long as you don't want to retain the packages assigned to it.

Just a question, but how do you have your pickup set? is it on AD or a client heartbeat?

We ran into problems with the SMS update stuff for XP. Think about using WSUS. It's a little bit better and won't take as much work to configure. Switched it off a few days ago. WSUS was the better shoice for us.

as to the machine to collection thing... You have to define a membership rule for the collection that singles out one machine. Use a .exe that exists on it or something. You can also use the name in the criteria settings.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have more stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom