2x1GB of RAM vs. 4x512MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending if your MB supports dual channel , if it does then 2 -1GB sticks is the better option. I would still choose 2-1GB sticks over 4-512MB sticks reguardless.The memory tends to slow down plus you increase the chances of flaky memory errors.

If u have 4x512mb sticks, they autoatically get set at a slower speed in the bios on most motherboards to keep the system stable. This happens when ever all 4 ram slots are filled. 2x1gb sticks will give you an overall better performance and can run at maximum speed while still having a stable system.

2*1 also uses up less power and voltage/wattage, which will keep your system cooler.

less is more... fewer sticks... is more gooder... you get the point. with 2x1 you can then upgrade to 4 gigs whenever that is needed. too bad i've already had 4x512 for a year or so. Another thing that may or may not be a factor is price, although in most cases 2x512 is the same price as 1 gig.

Andyroo08 said:
If u have 4x512mb sticks, they autoatically get set at a slower speed in the bios on most motherboards to keep the system stable. This happens when ever all 4 ram slots are filled. 2x1gb sticks will give you an overall better performance and can run at maximum speed while still having a stable system.

Not true. It depends on if your CPU can handle 4 sticks at normal speed or not. The new AMD 64's do it just fine.

But if you have 2 1gb sticks, later buy 2 more 1gb sticks and you'll have a hell of a lot of ram. Rather than wasting the money on 512mb sticks.

That's true. But if you're like a lot of the people here, you already have 2 512 sticks because that was teh way to go over the past year.

you need to use the search function as this question has already been asked before

Well I did search with the keywords "2x512mb 1x2mb" and a few other comanations and got nothing that answered my question but I guess I should have tried harder....

at least I didn't post another "will this run BF2?" thread. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom