Overclocking PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
Since my other thread was going nowhere I made another. I need advice on a PSU for overclocking my system (see below). Should I get a dual 12V or not? How many watts? I know to go with brands like OCZ, Antec, Enermax, PCP&C, ect. My budget is ~$180.

thanks

Look at the Ampage, Not watts.
I'm not sure about dual 12v.

It depends on you graphics card also. You should get at least 21 amps.

Atleast 18A on the +12v rail for an A64 system. Atleast 26A for an A64 system with quality parts and overclocked.

P.P. Mguire said:
Buy the new 1kw PSU. That should do nice...maybe.
1KW for overclocking one A64 X2 and one video card will MAYBE do nice??? I'm no expert but that sounds like major overkill to me. I thought 500-600W would be plenty?

The first PSU you listed is Dual +12v rail enabled. That means that it has 2 +12v rails. That PSU has 26A on the first +12v rail, and 20A on the second +12v rail, for a total of 46A on the +12v rails. Thats major overkill for most systems.

As for the second one you listed, I wouldn't trust that brand, so I won't comment.

This is the one I have. It has 18A each on the +12v rail, but the total wattage is a bit low.

This is the first one I recommend. Same Ampage, but higher Wattage.

This is pretty popular and would do nicely. My highest recommendation, though its a bit pricey.

You also have to be careful about which brand of PSU you choose. All the ones I listed are good brands (Forton, Rosewill, Antec...).

Ah, I didn't know that you add the two +12V on a dual 12v psu LoL. So I guess the OCZ Powerstream 600W acually has 40A.

I like the rosewill one because its really cheap and has that blue LED but they sell 550W psu's for four times that much so there must be something about that rosewill that makes it so cheap. Less efficient maybe?

The Antec is nice but even it is way cheaper than some 500-600W psu's for some reason....

You info helped me out alot though, thanks.

Theres a lot of stuff that can raise the price of a PSU. I'm no expert on them, but any PSU from a reputable company will perform to its specifications.

Rosewill is one of the best, IMO, so if you like that, go with it. The more expensive PSUs have other features that are pretty much unneeded to most people, but all the good ones have the basic safety features that you can expect from a PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom