Limitations of a PIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

supra94

Solid State Member
Okay i have some common misconceptions that i want to clear up or prove.

I have a PIII 1.0Ghz

1) If i pair this computer with a higher end graphics card.....like one with 128MB Geforce w/ tv-out, will the PIII slow down its performance or cause video skipping?

2) If i pair the computer with a tv-tuner car...will the PII slow it down and cause things that are plugged in to flicker or have bad screen images?

3) Now I am aware that AMD and INTEL chips cannot be compared by GHz, but can a PIII be compared to a P4 in speed?

Actually, in benchmarks, the final generation of PIII's slightly overtake the original P4's. So, that's where they stand in relation to one another.

I had a PIII 800 system and installed an Asus MX4000 64mb video card, and it did fine, so I'm assuming it shouldn't be too big of a deal as long as you don't go overboard with the video card. I'll say it'll probably run just fine with a 6200 or something. Stay under the 6600 and 9800 line to not overstep your processor's capabilities.

Ryan

You should be fine with any card similar to what FghtinIrshNvrDi said. The tuner should be fine, though you might notice some skips when recording television due to low RPM on your hard drive. Nothing else should be effected, though, unless you're multitasking your tuner.

i also have a P111 933MHz and recently upgraded to nvidia 128mb card and it works perfectly does not skip and enhances performance for me

The 7200 should be fine then. I guess I assumed you had a 5400 like my crappy drive given that it's an older pc. I don't see any problems, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom