I JUST PROVED IM A n00b!!HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcirclepants

In Runtime
Ok guys, 2 weeks ago i didnt know jack about overclocking....all i knew was the bigger the cpu gighertz numbers, the better.
Well, i bought this from ebay, which also proves im a noooob
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl.../search.dll?from=R40&satitle=6803589846&fvi=1

Well, anyway to make a looong story short, when i first got this computer assembled, i started it up and 10 secs after windows xp pro gets to desktop, it froze...repetedly....
so i got on techforums and ericb said to lower cpu voltage, which i did...i didnt know it lowered clockspeed 2....that solved the problem, but jus tonite i found that it was running at 2.8gig...well i went to bios and set cpu clock to 154@3.08gig, which was as high as i could go without windows freezing....but i paid for 3.4gig (wat really suks is that if i bought these components sepretly from newegg i coulda saved 70 bucks) that also proves im a noooob...anyway, i was wondering if there was alternative ways of overclocking that would not make windows freeze, and what cpu testing programs r there, and also stresstest programs...my goal is to bring it up to 3.4gig again so i dont feel as terruble as i am now
Oh and i rean speedfan on it at 3.08 gig and it said cpu temps @75%load r 46c....but that wasnt but 15 mins...i need a stresstest prog to truly test it

plz guys, help

The cpu original speed is 2.66ghz Intel Prescott Celeron D, but I have overclocked it to 3.4ghz, which makes it faster than a 2.4ghz, 2.6, or a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 CPU. I have stress tested the cpu and motherboard at 3.46ghz for over 3 days (72 hours) straight at 100% cpu utilization and not one single error was reported by the stress test applications. Stress test applications include: prime95, sandra sys soft, 3dmark running in loop. After the stress tests, I clocked the cpu 60mhz lower, and set it at 3.4ghz. I guarantee the system running at 3.4ghz to be 100% stabled.

thats wat the ebay listing said---hmmm

I don't know where the hell that dude got the idea that if Windows freezes you should lower vcore...but he's wrong...freezing is a sign of instability which is caused by inadaquent voltage and you fix this by increasing vcore

There is no "alternate" way of overclocking that won't leave a chance of windows freezing or other system instability, fact remains that you're pushing the core beyond what it was built and tested to safely operate...however the easiest way to limit the chances of instability is to overclock in small increments and use some patience...work slowly and make sure you are maintaining stability

Overclocking is relatively easy if you know what you are doing...if you don't know, don't do it until you know what you're doing, and to know what you are doing, READ THE STICKIES...please

gaara said:
I don't know where the hell that dude got the idea that if Windows freezes you should lower vcore...but he's wrong...freezing is a sign of instability which is caused by inadaquent voltage and you fix this by increasing vcore

BUT WHY THE HELL WAS IT STABLE WHEN I LOWERED THE VOLTAGE CORE?????????

I am taking a wild guess and suggesting your motherboard is a POS and can't provide clean stable voltage once your vcore reaches a certain point...ECS are not the most reputable board manufacturer

Either your motherboard or your power supply I'd say

And please try and act more civilized or I'm not going to bother to try and help you

my powersupply is a atx 450watt....BUT how did that guy that sold me the mobo get it to be stable at 3.4 gig??? i think i will ask him....

No, I'm not referring to the output of your power supply...although that may be a problem as you may not infact have a real 4502watt PSU...but moreso the stability of your 12v rail

Unless that guy has a CPU-ID verified link then by all means he could be straight out BSing you to be quite honest...or he might have gotten a "suicide" overclock

sbcirclepants said:
Ok guys, 2 weeks ago i didnt know jack about overclocking....all i knew was the bigger the cpu gighertz numbers, the better.
Well, i bought this from ebay, which also proves im a noooob

Well, anyway to make a looong story short, when i first got this computer assembled, i started it up and 10 secs after windows xp pro gets to desktop, it froze...repetedly....
so i got on techforums and tyler1989 said to lower cpu voltage, which i did...i didnt know it lowered clockspeed 2....that solved the problem, but jus tonite i found that it was running at 2.8gig...well i went to bios and set cpu clock to 154@3.08gig, which was as high as i could go without windows freezing....but i paid for 3.4gig (wat really suks is that if i bought these components sepretly from newegg i coulda saved 70 bucks) that also proves im a noooob...anyway, i was wondering if there was alternative ways of overclocking that would not make windows freeze, and what cpu testing programs r there, and also stresstest programs...my goal is to bring it up to 3.4gig again so i dont feel as terruble as i am now
Oh and i rean speedfan on it at 3.08 gig and it said cpu temps @75%load r 46c....but that wasnt but 15 mins...i need a stresstest prog to truly test it

plz guys, help

OH tyler1989 told you to lower your voltage. I though it was me.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72813&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

fellas, he overclock an 2.6 intel celeron to 3.6 on a ECS mobo with a generic PSU with stock cooling. He's lucky that it still working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom