Baseband Member
Hello,

After purchasing my new computer i gave the old stuff to my dad, he now has:

Athlon 1ghz
384mb PC100 and PC133 sdram
6 gig hdd
jetway mobo
windows XP pro SP1

as of yesterday, it isn't booting into windows properly, its loading up ok, icons appear on the desktop as normal, it makes the startup sound as normal but not all the systray icons show up (he usually has intellimouse, nvidia and epson printer icons show up, he only gets the mouse one now)

and certain programs dont work. For example, he can right click a file on desktop and get properties for it, however i found he cant do the same on my computer,he can open my computer as normal, he can open the control panel but not open add/remove programs, he can browse anywhere he wants but cant open certain things. the problem was found when he tried to load up opposing force, it didn't do anything.

I had a mosey around last night and found installed on his PC "Gain", "Prescion time" and another Gatorware program, i tried to uninstall them but i couldn;t get into add remove so i just deleted the files, i have also tried booting into safemode and booting with diagnostic startup but neither remedied the problem. I also thought to use the system restore to two days ago when it was fine but i cant right click my computer, i cant even open "system" in control panel.

It sounds to me like something at startup isnt loading properly thus causing problems but i cannot be sure. surely diagnostic setup would rememdy this? it hasnt though.

the computer has been running absolutely fine for about 2 months up until he tried it yesterday. I asked and he said all he has done last time it worked was internet pages (nothing unusual, van halen sites and the like) and emails and i have upgraded windows messenger. i wondered if it could be a virus so installed and updated Norton anti virus 2003 but i cant load it up (its one of the programs i cant load) i just get the hour glass cursor and nothing else happens. i've tried loading it from various locations to no avail.

I'm really annoyed about this cos its nowt to do with me but i gotta fix it GRRRR taking up a lot of my time :(

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Karl

First and foremost, disable the non ms services at startup, from msconfig. U may however leave the Norton or symantec services enabled.
Secondly also disable all the startup items.
If msconfig dows not open, try it from safe mode.
If that does not help disable even the Norton services.
Then u could try sfc /scannow from start>run
U could try system restore.

hmm he is logging in as admin as far as i know, there is only one user on the PC and i cant try restore cos i cant get to the "system" option in control panel? (or right click on my computer)

oh right thanks, i'll try that cos he can actually get on the net. could you give me a link that you can recommend?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom