Ram problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

V-tek

Baseband Member
My friend is trying to install some ram in his Dell Dimension 8250, he is trying to add 512MB, and when he boots up it beeps, and there is a black screen...any ideas what could be wrong ?

hey what kind of ram did you get? I looked on crucial.com and they said "No products are currently available for the system you selected. Your system may require proprietary or non-standard parts" Does the computer work when you take the ram out? does it have 400 or 533 fsb? Looks like you may have to order ram upgrade from Hell.

Its an Elpida 512MB/16d ECC ram chip with a dell sticker over it..as for the front bus speed...i dont know, its just a ram upgrade, i think it has two sticks in it, and two dummy sticks, i remember reading about that some rams slots need to be completely filled for the ram to work.

I believe the system you are talking about has dual channel ram meaning you need to put 2 matching sticks of ram in. Are you putting in 2 or just 1.

the system will boot with 1 stick in, it doesnt "HAVE" to boot in dual channel. dual channel is just there.

are you putting the right type of ram in there. pc3200 it could be DDR2 too.

I don't know shit about Dell, are you sure it needs ECC RAM?

A system that supports dual-channel does not need to run it's RAM in dual channel, so 1 stick should work fine.

EDIT: PZEROFGH, you post too fast.

as far as I know, if you want to put more RAM in a dell machine, then you need to contact dell, as they purposely make it so you can't just go and buy any RAM you want and add it to the machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom