Dell 9100 at good price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuthroat

Baseband Member
I posted once on building vs buying and my budget was under 1000.00 Most of you guys opted for building but im curious this seems like a very good deal for 679.00 with these specs, its pcie so I could easily grab a 7800gt in another month or so for a better price then it is now and grab another stick of 512 ddr2 ram. Is it worth it at this price?

"HOT, Expiring Tomorrow! DellSB - Dimension 9100 Desktop with 2.8Ghz P4 820 Dual Core, 512MB DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB S-ATA, 16x DVD-Rom, 48x CD-RW, 128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE for $679 after Rebate with FREE 19" LCD Monitor! (Posted by: Apex)
HOT! This one goes away TOMORROW, folks. $300 off and $100 rebate on this Dimension 9100 computer with 19" Dell e193FP LCD monitor ($349 value) bring the price down to $679! You get one with a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 Processor 820 Dual Core (previously a $100 upgrade), 512MB of Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533Mhz, bigger 160GB S-ATA 7200RPM hard drive (previously a $60 upgrade), 16x DVD-Rom & 48x CD-RW drives (previously a $50 upgrade), 128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory PCIe x16 video card, integrated 7.1 channel audio, 10/100 networking, Windows XP Home, 1 year warranty, and a great looking case! You can even get one with the Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD for just $1199 after $100 rebate. The LCD alone is worth that!"

Everyone here is going to say "To hell with Dell" but I think it's a good price, especially since the 19" LCD monitor comes with it.

Allow me to explain something to you here.

The Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD are very nice indeed. Wide screen gaming is awesome and it's a very attractive price for that PC & LCD.

BUT!!! The native resolution of that LCD is 1920x1200 which is excellent yes, with a 16ms to 12ms responce time. The problem is that with that system you'll NEVER be able to run games at that native resolution. Or even 1600 X 1200. EVER.

The hardware in that PC just isn't capable of handling gaming at those resolutions. You would need an FX-57 or X2 4800+ & at least 7800GTX, more perferably (2) in SLI... to handle such resolutions at mid to high settings in any current game.

So even though you'll have a nice monitor, that system won't allow you to use it to it's fullest. So why not either go with a monitor your system can handle at high resolutions?

Do what you want... i'm just trying to explain it.

I understand what you mean. I had not planned on getting the 24inch monitor, just the standard 19inch it comes with for 679.00..

So explain to me what the issues are with that computer and running high res? You mean everyone out there thats not running SLI with two 7800gtx are unable to run at high res?

Im looking at it from the point of view of this.

I get a pent dual core plus 512 ddr2 ram which i can easily upgrade to 1gig. I get a pcie slot with a 128 radeon, which I can upgrade to the 7800gt 256mb. A decent 160gig hard drive and its all preset up by dell.

I cant see building a computer with these specs for 679 including a 19inch lcd monitor?

I mean yeah i would love a raid set up and sli set up, but thats alot more money, im going for biggest bang for the buck to run the top graphics intense games. Is the only way to run these games with sli and dual 7800gtx's???

If one of your primary interests is gaming, then do not buy a dell or an intel dual core. Both are just not gaming material.
If you're interested in a inexpensive gaming system, then you're pretty much out of luck, gaming systems are some of the most expensive to buy or build.

If you're just looking for a PC that will kick MP3's butts and writing papers while surfing the web and encoding a DVD or CD and chatting on AIM and making a SIG... then go with Dell and the Intel Dual Core... There's nothing wrong with that.

But gaming... look elsewhere...

What is the problem with dual core and a very good vid card? Will the cpu be a bottleneck in this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom