performance increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you guys kidding me?

Going from a 333FSB processor, with 768mb of PC2100 RAM, to 1gb of PC3200 and an AMD64 not a noticeable difference and saying the previous system is 'still current'

You guys are insane.

Not only will 1gb of RAM help him, but the fact that he's going to make a HUGE increase in memory bandwidth he'll notice a nice performance increase...BF2 uses a ton of system memory so bam, he's sure to notice a nice performance difference in that alone...it'll basically smooth out the game for him and possibly be able to go a little higher graphical settings.

Right now his CPU and RAM aren't even communicating at the same speed and memory bandwidth is approximately around 2gb/sec.....he goes to 1gb of PC3200 and he'll be cruising around 6.5gb/sec more or less....beyond that of course we know the CPU is a better 32bit calculator than the XP in terms of clock per clock..especially if you overclock that CPU up, even if it's a little bit.

Overall, you WILL notice a nice performance increase.

Agreed
icon10.gif
Nice upgrade there
icon14.gif

See, here's where there's a misunderstanding. I agree that he will see an increase, but here's what we're thinking... This game is not maxing out his computer at this point. If he wants to run it smoother, get some more ram. The video card is the probably the bottleneck anyway. (not that it's a bottleneck really... I only have an x700) But what I'm thinking is that your processor and ram speed aren't the huge issue. I think you're jumpin the gun. Add ram and be happy for now!

Ryan

thanks for the replies! i just bought the 6800 a couple of months ago, so im not gonna upgrade that anytime soon.

now im a bit confused, why dont you guys think the 6800 isnt a good card? when i buy the parts, im going to go over my uncle's house so he can help me build it, while im there im gonna have him help me unlock the extra pipelines and vertex shaders, hopefully putting it close to 6800 gt speeds.

also, i just found a few days ago that my mobo supports pc 3200 ram, when i bought the ram i have now, i was lied to by the vendor when he convinced me that the mobo took pc 2100 only (i guess he wanted to rip me off selling the the cheaper ram for the same price of the faster ram)

since they (ram and mobo) are communicating at different speeds, how much of a performance hit am i taking?

last question, if you put pc 3200 and 2100 on the same mobo, will the pc 3200 run at the same speed while the 2100 is running at 2100 speeds, or will the 3200 downclock to 2100 speeds?

thanks for answering my n00bish questions

thanks, thats what i thought

i was just wondering, b/c if they stayed at the two different speeds, i would have just used the 3200 and 2100 together (so i would have the 1 new 3200 gig, and the old 768mb 2100 ram together) but since this is not the case, ill have to deal with 1 gig for now

1 gig is more than enough ya ask me, im sitting on 278 and have no problems unless i run seti@home for a long time and leave the computer on constantly.....

your CPU only runs at 333MHz anyway...so that's only PC2700 speeds...it's not your RAM and mobo that aren't communicating at the same speed it's the RAM and the CPU that aren't.

I'm thinking is that your processor and ram speed aren't the huge issue
He's taking quite a bit of hit, simply from his processor not being 400FSB, his RAM also not being 400FSB and that's creating the main bottleneck in the system, not his video card...his video card is perfectly fine.

AMD64 + 1gb of RAM would be quite the improvement not only in games, but overall system speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom