Socket 754 or Socket 775?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

Another question on sockets...If you had to choose between the two:

Socket 754 ~ or ~ Socket 775 ?

Er...just because a socket has a similar pincount doesn't mean they can really be competetively compared...for example socket 940 used ECC registered DDR1 memory with Opteron processors, however the upcoming M2 which also uses 940 pins will not be compatible with current socket 940 processors as it will be used with Athlons and non-registered DDR2

Comparing these two are like apples and oranges...socket 754 is an outdated socket that has absolutely no future and lacks a variety of up to date features, whereas socket T is the current Intel platform

So yeah Socket T is the better platform...but without knowing the other components you are using with it by all means a 3700+ on socket 754 would be better than a 3GHz Pentium

What I'm saying is you're asking a very objectional question

Exactly. 775 is waaay more future proof than 754 because 754 is done. period. 775 is the current chip for intel if I'm not mistaken.

I'm an AMD guy, but in that question, I'd say socket 775. It's current.

Ryan

Re:

Okay...lol...

AMD Sempron 64-bit 2600+ ~ or ~ Intel Celeron D 330J 2.66Ghz ?

Keeping in mind that there's a strict budget of £120, value for money, and at least some features for future proofing upgradeability...

Both of those would have similar performance. With the AMD, you would be able to upgrade to an Athlon later. With the Celeron you could update to a Pentium later. AMD is better for games, and Intel is better for applications. Lets not get into that though.

Anyways, you probably wouldn't want either of those because they are just downgraded versions of better chips. Go with an Athlon or a P4, even if it is only a Athlon 2600+ or a 2.6GHz P4.

Re:

Hello,

An AMD Athlon 2600+ powered PC was my bro's second build proposal...

...I do agree with you. However we scrapped that build for a Sempron 64 spec instead because the socket 754 has newer technology than socket A, and allows for future upgrades to an AMD Athlon 64 processor, albeit a socket 754 processor...

If I were my bro I would just keep saving my money until I can afford an AMD Athlon 64 processor, instead of buying a Sempron 64, then saving up again for an AMD Athlon 64 754, or perhaps even a 939 (it would make more sense wouldn't it?). He want's to spend as little money as he can on a custom build, but his method to upgrade in the future would end up costing him more in the long run anyway...so much so that his budget used to buy a Sempron 64 and in the future an AMD Athlon 64 754 processor would total to that of the price of a good spec Athlon 65 939 processor :rolleyes:...

...But he keeps highlighting that any system better than his Intel Celeron 466Mhz system will do. And I think there's a hint of impatience there too. Well I guess when he upgrades to an AMD Athlon 64 754 processor in the future, and although I don't see much logic in his plan, I can steal the Sempron 64 processor when he is done with it and build another PC :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom