Brand new amd 2600+ OVERHEATING

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlelegs

Solid State Member
i just had a local computer store build me a custom computer... amd 2600+, 512mb ram, 250gb hd, dvdrw, tv tuner, etc...

and every once in a while i hear the CPU overheat alarm go off a little.... what do i do????? i am just a novice computer user... i dont overclock or do anything crazy to make the cpu overheat. what should i do???

maybe they overclocked it to make it look like a 2600+ look at the chip and see if it has any writing on it about what kind of chip it is. Maybe someone o/c the 2400+ or 2500+ and you do not have the proper cooling. I doubt it. Your fans probably junk, go by a nice thermeltake and u'll be set

if i take it back to the people who sold it to me, shouldnt they give me a better fan? how much is that thermalcooling stuff? maybe i should just pay them extra to put better cooling in. any help is appreciated. thanks

anywhere from 20-40 canadian will get u a decent thermeltake. You can install it your self. Um,,, i dont think they would give u better cooling because they probably bought the chip retail and put the retail heat sink on which is suppost to be ok for stock speeds. Iv found amd retail heat sinks just dont cut it though.

Yeah, I'd take it back. Let them know the problem. Also, before you do that, take a look at the temp when the alarm goes off. If it's above 60C, that's way too high to be normal. Complain to them that you don't want a crappy cooler and demand a new, better cooler, if that really is the problem. They should give you one for free if you complain enough. Throw in that online sites offer good quality Hs/fans...

Another more simple solution may be that the thermal paste is not in place, a thermal pad was not used, or they did not use an AMD certified CPU cooling fan,,,

I like thermaltake, or vantec(magnetic tip fans) ,, whisper quiet,, and quite a whirlwind of power

further,, your CPU might not be seated properly, your case may not have enough air movement,, motherboard sensor could be shagged,,

look for a prog called Mother Board Monitor 5,, install that and take some log shots of the Temp and fan RPM ,, like stated above .. 60 c is VERY hot,,

but the log is also good proof to present to your vendor,,, by the by,, is your vendor a crook ,, or are they reputable ,, some of the "fly-by-night" shops look for the sale over the quality and service,,

cheers, and good luckl

I'd take that rig right back to the place you bought it from and have them deal with it. It should still be under warranty.

Tell them the heat alarm keeps going off and you want a temp around 40-45c, which can be acheived by most Heat Sinks with an adequate fan.

I called the computer store that built the pc for me. he asked how i knew the processor was overheating, i told him i looked at "system health", he said not to touch that. i said i didnt mess with anything, but that the alarm was going off every 10 seconds or so because it went from 57c to 60c. he told me to set the alarm at 65 degrees celcius, but i couldnt because i could only set it at 60, 70, 80, or 90. he said 60 degrees celcius was fine and just to set the alarm at 70.
is my processor going to burn up? i would rather pay 25 bucks for a little cooler of a processor than have to go through the hassle of going thru warranty when the processor burns up in 6 months. thanks for your help in this...
jon

Are you kidding me? If he is giving you the run around like that, it's obvious he has no intention of finding out why the temps are too high. Sounds like he just told you exactly what he would do if he were to "repair" it. I wouldn't trust him if I were you.

I'd return that rig so fast it would make his head spin. AMD's run pretty warm, but they burn up around 80c. If you're hitting 70 at idle, then you're going to be toast while the CPU is under load.

Try something like a Dell or Compaq or something like that. At least they won't screw you over. Personally, I'd go with an ABS computer, http://www.buyabs.com/. If you have to buy locally, then get something at Best Buy or Circuit City or something like that.

computer idles around 59c.... then gets up to 61 under pressure. would that burn it up? i think i will talk to the guy again tomorrow.
i also just had to reinstall windows... i think some divx codec i installed corrupted something. i was also unplugging the monitor and other peripherals while the comp was running, could that corrupt something? i just hope its not the chip screwing up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom