A case idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
This I would would like to see as I do enjoy wood working myself.

waynejkruse10 said:
The cutting would take a while, as would the gluing, nailing and clamping.
I would be using some thing like self tapping screws and glue.

waynejkruse10 said:
The sides should be a bit thicker, mabye 12 or 19mm. The sides would have a groove cut in it so the pine base would sit flush on the bottom. This could be done on the table saw or the router. The top could be hinged or could be slotted to the top just slots on the top.
Router will be great help with that. It's better than a using a chizzle. However careful using a router as they have a habbit of kicking. I nearly injured myself a few months back with one.

I would also use the router to curve the edges of the case too.

I would be going for a lighter wood, and maybe using some varnish on it.

waynejkruse10 said:
Another tricky thing is getting the rear IO panel to sit correctly, and getting the HDD/PSU to sit right. And what about CDROM?

The rear panel will be tricky as you would want some thing thin and yet durable. You might be able to cut it down to the right size, but it's not going to be strong.

Thats why i suggested using the motherboard tray and just set it into the wooden case, only has 6 spaces for PCI slots though.... Along with them cd drive bays he can buy.... And ive been thinking about building a computer case of wood in our schools woodshop in 11th grade (next year) out of Oak, but im not sure if our teacher would let me, since i would be using a few parts that are allready made, such as a motherboard tray with the back panel and a cd drive bay and HDD drive bay......

Router will be great help with that. It's better than a using a chizzle. However careful using a router as they have a habbit of kicking. I nearly injured myself a few months back with one.

Tell me about it. I have had them kick. My woodwork teacher injured himself on a router a while back. But i might use the table router which doesnt kick back.

The lathe also kicks back badly. I have had it kick the tool back into my shoulder and it gave me a nasty bruise.

I would be going for a lighter wood, and maybe using some varnish on it.

What about oiled?

no, the table saw in our room isnt on that level. It seems better than a hand router because its easier to keep the wood in place.

waynejkruse10 said:
What about oiled?
That would look nice too.

charles_scott said:
Try letting a table saw kick the wood back into you >_< That will cause some damage to a certain place of the body......
That is about a fun a broken rib.
I know this from personal experience.

You have to be careful with table saws when they kick back.
And pray you don not hit a nail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom