G.Skill vs. Value RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
Which would be better 2x512MB of G.Skill PC3200 TCCD or 2x1GB of value ram?

It would be paired with an X2 4400+ Toledo and used for overclocking eventually.

do you even really need to ask this question?

I've seen you post around here before, so I know you're fully aware of valueRAM not going to overclock...so if you want to overclock your RAM specifically then common sense would answer your question....if you just want a large amount of RAM for these games like FEAR that suck up a ton of it, or maybe you're running a crapload of heavy ass programs (which I figure you might since you're getting a dual core) then obviously overclocking wouldn't be as important as having enough RAM to back it up

lol, I'm kind of out of it tonight. I guess what I'm really asking is do you need high quality ram to overclock you CPU? I don't really know the first thing about OCing.

You will need to get high quality RAM to overclock unless you get an AMD FX series CPU. Since it doesnt really seem like you are interested in such a CPU, then the answer is yes. You do need to get good overclocking RAM.

Since you overclock your CPU via it's HTT frequency, and not it's multiplier (like an fx), you need RAM that will be able to run a 1:1 ratio to the HTT frequency. For example if you overclock your CPU's HTT to 250MHz, then you will need RAM that will run at 250MHz to match. 250MHz is equivalent to DDR500 or PC4000. For more info on RAM frequencies, etc have a look at my guide to RAM.

Well, if I were in your situation and had a limited budget that allowed me to either get 2 x 512MB of G.Skill TCCDs or 2 x 1GB ValueSelect, then I would personally go with ther 2GB of ValueSelect. I would get more performance from 2GB of RAM than I would from 1GB of overclocked RAM. I'd just run with a memory divider which as we all know doesn't have any negative impact on A64 microprocessors. Sure I'd lose the overclocked RAM bandwidth, but I care about performance more than my max overclock. If I get more performance from going with ValueSelect, then I'll go with that.

You decide for yourself.

You will need to get high quality RAM to overclock unless you get an AMD FX series CPU. Since it doesnt really seem like you are interested in such a CPU, then the answer is yes. You do need to get good overclocking RAM.

Since you overclock your CPU via it's HTT frequency, and not it's multiplier (like an fx), you need RAM that will be able to run a 1:1 ratio to the HTT frequency. For example if you overclock your CPU's HTT to 250MHz, then you will need RAM that will run at 250MHz to match. 250MHz is equivalent to DDR500 or PC4000. For more info on RAM frequencies, etc have a look at my guide to RAM.
Elbatrop...that's why they have things called 'Memory Dividers'

So no, you don't need high quality RAM to overclock your CPU...the CPU can be overclocked seperately from the RAM entirely

I stand by my 2 x 1GB recommendation.

Those are supposed to be a good set, but I'm not sure, and as there are no reviews for it, I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

generally 1gig sicks don't oc as well as their 512mb counterparts and have looser timings too so ur not gonna get steller oc's on 1gig sticks

and Nubius i might be wrong but i was quite sure that you would not be able to oc as far on a devider as with the 1:1 ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom