Building a Dream : Documented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
What's up everyone. Well, some of you know that I've got plans in the works to build a killer gaming PC. I'm really tired of talking about it and just want to get it done. But, at the same time... Good things come to those that wait.

I've been considering if I should go 7800GTX in SLI or wait until the X1800XT's & Crossfire MOBO's are available. I've decided to go with crossfire. I pretty much have everything I need to build, I'm just waiting on the DFI CF mobo and the X1800XT's.

I was wondering if people would be interested or if it's a good idea to start a thread that documents, with pictures and step by steps of the build process. I think it would be fun and may-be someone with little experience in building PC's could possibly learn something. Give me you honest opinion. What ever it may-be.
Also, if I do create this thread, what forum should I start it in?

Thanks.

If you were to do this, I would most likely merge it with Elbatrop1s PC building guide in the appropriate subforums...that depends how well this is documented however

I'm suprised you've already picked out a nonexistant motherboard though...DFI has only ever had spectacular motherboards with the nf4 chipsets, every other chipset has pretty much been a respective flop compared to the nf4s

If you wanna buy it be my guest though

gaara said:
If you were to do this, I would most likely merge it with Elbatrop1s PC building guide in the appropriate subforums...that depends how well this is documented however

I'm suprised you've already picked out a nonexistant motherboard though...DFI has only ever had spectacular motherboards with the nf4 chipsets, every other chipset has pretty much been a respective flop compared to the nf4s

If you wanna buy it be my guest though

Well, it's nonexistant if you mean, "Available on the market".
It was slated for release on September 28th. LOL - It's OCT 10th.
I'm not hell bent on having to go with DFI. Although I do like DFI for it's OCIN' capabilities, for this hardware, i'm not really going to have to OC it too much. So honestly, i'll go with the most solid CF mobo. But, right now there really isn't too much available to even read about. The only thing i've seen was the DFI board. Like i said before, "I'm antsy... but i can wait until I know everything is right."

Gaara, when I start, i'll PM you for the proper location/forum and take any advice you wanna give in regards to the post. Thanks.

You don't have to worry about posting it in the proper forum mate

Just put it wherever you think is most appropriate and one of the mods will sort it all out for you...you don't need my permission, I'm not a control freak...just do want ya wanna do with it :p

Xiahou said:

Yeah, that's pretty cool looking, but sapphire as a motherboard? They make good GFX boards... but I don't know about MOBO's. Plus is that only available in the UK? I'm in the USA.

AND THEN I FIND A MOTHERBOARD LIKE THIS:
A8N32-SLI.jpg

Specification summary: A8N32-SLI Deluxe
- AMD Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64 X2/Athlon 64/Sempron
- NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI X16 (NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 and NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI)
- 2000/1600 MT/s System Bus
- 4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR 400/333/266
- 2 x PCIe x16 (running @ x16 speed), 1 x PCIe x4 (Support PCIe x4 or PCIe x1 card), 3 x PCI 2.2
- Dual Gigabit LAN
- 6 x Serial ATA 3 Gb/s ports including 1 external port
- 2 x IEEE 1394a

AND RAM LIKE THIS:
F6632179.jpg

Speed: XMS3500
Size: 2048MB (2 x 1024MB Modules)
Timing: 2-3-2-6-1T
Heat Spreader: Black XMS PRO
Package: 2 x 184 DIMM

AND 7800GTX'S LIKE THIS:
14-130-237-01.JPG

GPU: Geforce 7800GTX
Core clock: 490MHz
PixelPipelines : 24
Memory Clock: 1300MHz
Memory Size : 256MB

I can't decide, ATI or Nvidia... If I go nvidia, I can buy and build now... If I go ATI, I obviously must wait... what to do.. what to do..
Any suggestions?

I think they will be available in the US also at some point, infact im sure.

Its interesting to see the ATI CF mobo much less expensive than the single.

The good thing about Britain is that we always get the product images, dates and prices. The bad thing ~ they are on a land far far away when thinking of them.

Ill always stick with Nvidia now.

I know many people want an uber 1337 computer, but whats the point?

What different are you going to see between a 7800GTX and a x1800XT?

Oh wow, a few different digets in 3D mark 03/05.

TBH it shows how greedy people have gotten over time. A 6600GT does most things fine, a 6800GT does everything fine, a 6800Ultra does it all fine and for a long time, a 7800GT does it even better, a 7800GTX does it even better than that,.... a X1800XT is takin the piss.

Anyway, the point is, if your want your computer to be uber 1337 bling bling go with the X1800XTs, pay the overvalued price for the card, double if your going crossfire, go completely over the top and just pray that your ATI mobo/card doesnt do a funny.

OR..

..you could be smart. Go with the safe option Nvidia, get what u want from them, and atleast you will know that you aint getting ripped off.

Plus, you can go with Nvidia now, or wait for ATI. The problem is then, if you wait, but buy the CF mobo and gfx card, you wont really know how well everything will work and what problems there might be if any, as it is a new release, and it will be new to everybody. Who knows, it might just be another thing that ATI has rushed.

Anyway, im really tired, post kinda crapped up from the 2nd letter. I think what im trying to say is that it all comes down to the bling bling factor.

Having said all this though, and seeing some X1800XT stuff, i hope this card is good, and can give Nvidia a real kick in their arses.

I would change two things.

#1: I think Nvidia will still be better overall this round.

#2: No single core game will take full advantage of your FX-57. However FEAR is dual core compatable and is released in 8 days.

Sapphire makes good GFX cards, what are you talking about :confused: i heard so many bad things about sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom