performance increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabidpirate

Baseband Member
How much of a performance increase should I recieve (in a gaming perspective) from my computer, to the one I am going to be building over the next few weeks.

Old Specs
-AMD athlon xp 2600+ (oc to 2800+)

-768mb pc 2100 ram

-eVGA Geforce 6800 128mb (AGP 8x)

-80 gig 7200rpm HD

-Gigabyte GA-7VT600
----------------------------------------
New Specs
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

-GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard

-CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)

-eVGA Geforce 6800 128mb (AGP 8x) <kept from last PC

-80 gig 7200rpm HD <kept from last pc

-20 gig 7200rpm HD <one i dug up from the computer i had before the one i have now

Also, I burnt out my last power supply (400 watt) fooling around w/ a powered computer (big mistake). Anyway, i replaced my good PSU with the one that came with the case I bought (350 watt, but im not sure if it really is). So my question is, will i be able to run the new parts i am buying w/ my old power supply, or will i have to by a new PSU like the one listed below?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817153005

Also i have another question.

I bought a thermaltech (i think thats the brand, it says Tt on it) heatsink for my CPU, which is socket A. Will the heatsink fit the new processor, because in that case, i'll buy a really good one so i can overclock the heck out of the 3200.

double post, but I'm gonna not say THAT much. The old computer can pretty much run any of the games out right now. I'm not feeling why you're needing an upgrade. You're still current.

Ryan

i know, i play bf2 (my most demanding game) on med/high settings at 1280x1024, but there are parts where i feel performance hits.

also, when im using "garry's mod" for hl2, i get a HUGE performance hit when using lots of objects b/c of the physics calculations.

i like playing games at their highest settings at the highest resolutions, after having to play games at their lowest settings for years, using left over parts from my uncle's PC (b/c he upgraded every so often, i got the old parts). but after i got a job, i bought a eVGA geforce 6800 128mb, and now run all my games at med settings.

NOW i look back and see what i was dealing with (worrying about games even running my my PC, and when getting them, having to run them at REALLY low qualities). i do not want to deal with those problems again, plus i want to run "lost coast" (the hdr tech demo for hl2) at the hightest settings when it comes out. i want, when a new game comes out, to pop it into my pc, and for the default settings to be at the hightest possible.

but thats just one of my quirks

*remembers struggling with running hl1 and r6 bank in the day

you probably wont see a big performacne difference. cpu has really nothign to do with games. it goes video card then ram then cpu.

it will matter for hl2, b/c of the physics calculations, plus i my processor is already slow. i know already that the gpu is the most important part for games, but the processor matters lots too, also i want to make the jump from 32 bit to 64 bit

well, ok if you know so much why are you asking if there is a performance increase if you alreayd know its matter...

im asking b/c ideally, i would get a response from somebody that had an upgrade similar to mine. so i could get a firsthand response.

this would help me in my decision to get the parts within the next few weeks or around january/feburary

ya those ppu's will make the biggest performance increase that u'll c out of anything in hl2 if u were to buy one, because what its doing is taking all of the physics calculation away from the cpu and putting it all on the PPU, u might want to wait save up some money and get one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom