context menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
how do i get rid of something from the context menu? a program call ProtectionID has added an entry, meaning whenever i double click an image file, if i want to mount it, it opens it in the stupid scanner thing instead. the entry also appars on files other than disc image files.

i have tried getting rid of the program, but it leaves the item in the menu behind. the program comes as-is, with no installing necessary.

its very annoying!!!!

thanks in advance.

You have to dig it out of the registry. The context menues are controlled from the file extention in the classroot section of the registry. Look up eash file type and trace them around for the connection. It's not super simple, but it's not rocket science either...
If you can't figure it out, let me know...

i ran a free registry scan that has limited capablilities, and it came up with 30 unnecessary item in the file extensions part, but could not fix them as it was limited. (i deleted the program that put the entries there in the first place.)

im in the process of "buying" a full registry scanner, and will try that. ill post when it is done.

thanks for your help.

^^^^didnt work

when i look in the registry at the relavent file extensions, it is not there. it is in all context menus, but it is not always the default. i hate it when programs do things you dont want them to do anyway. the silly thing doesnt even do what i wanted it for anyway. :(

can you give me the program name and the extentions that are being effected? I'll get you removal instructions...

also need where to find it...

its called ProtectionID. its the newest version. just google for it. it seems to be affecting all files, (not folders) but it is not the default in all cases.

thanks alot mate.

from what I can find, the stuff is in here...

hkey_classes_root\*\shell\scan with protectionID

You should be able to remove it from there and not see it any more.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom