A case idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
I saw something similar in a enthusiast computer magazine the other month.

It is a wooden case, the sides are made of stripes of different types of wood (some dark, some light coloured wood). It is square and rather flat. The actual building of the case would be easy (but time consuming). The cutting would take a while, as would the gluing, nailing and clamping. However if i could get some big pieces of assorted varieties of wood the same thickness i could just cut it up on the table saw. The probably will be pine, but not thick, mabye 12mm. The sides should be a bit thicker, mabye 12 or 19mm. The sides would have a groove cut in it so the pine base would sit flush on the bottom. This could be done on the table saw or the router. The top could be hinged or could be slotted to the top just slots on the top. The appropriate mobo holes will be drilled and the risers put in. The appropriate vents and hole will need to be put into the side for the psu and extra fans. I could buy two little SPDT momentary on switches and some led's for the different lights.

Wayne

it'd be awesome to do, my brother was going to do something similar once, but he never got around to it. if you do it, you'd have to give us a step by step review :D

you'd need some hardwood for the motherboard tray i think, pine would be too soft for it, the risers would thread the holes you put into it if you bumped it around a bit i recon. maybe do it out of jarra and celery-top? then you've got the dark/light colour co-ordination as well :)

i recon white LED's would look the best if you were going to do any lighting.

yeah.

I was thinking Marenty would also be good.

I could make the motherboard tray seperate (made out of 9mm hardwood) so i can take out the motherboard and the bottom can still be matching pine.

I defenantly know i can get pine, and lots of it for no cost. But other more "exotic" woods may be difficult for large pieces at certain thicknesses.

oh yeah, i forgot that, normally when i use woods like that, its at school, so i never hear about cost :) ahh ignorant bliss....

thats the best way to do it ;) i'd never be able to do anything like that at home, my brother might be able to though, the garage is basically his :)

but yeah, if you can pull it off it'd be a grand sight ;)

yeah. I will put a P3 Coppermine system into it so heat wont really be a problem. Another tricky thing is getting the rear IO panel to sit correctly, and getting the HDD/PSU to sit right. And what about CDROM?

hm, thats the kind of thing you have to work out before you start to cut stuff up :) it's exactly the kind of thing i'd overlook. i guess you could just make the actual bay a little wider, keeping the hole for the drive the size of its face, so it doesn't have horrible gaps, but then you could stick some wide rubber washers or something to hold it in place?

Go to mountainmods.com i think it is, they have a motherboard tray with a back plate and you can some how work that into the case for the motherboard and add in cards, they also have cut outs for HDDs and CD drives, but these parts are like $30-$50 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom