No SATA HD Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorKwin

In Runtime
I've recently put together a computer for my friend. Everything went smoothly until I went to go install Windows (XP) on it. The installer loads, but it gives me the message that there is no hard disk decected to install Windows on. The SATA isn't detected. His motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI, and the SATA hard drive is a Western Digital WD800JD. I know all the other hardware works because I lent him my ATA hard drive and installed Windows real fast so he could use his new system.

The hard drive itself didn't come with any manuals or a floppy with drivers on it. I've looked on WD's website and found THESE with various tools and such for the hard disk. What I don't understand is that it seems all the things on that page are just utilities for making the hard disk become recognized within Windows after it is already installed.

This is my first SATA installation, so I have no experience with this kind of situation. I thank anyone for your help!

EDIT: Here are the full system specs, just incase it helps..

Gigabye GA-K8N Pro-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 (Venice) 3000+
2x 512mb Patriot Signiture Series
Rosewill PCI-E 6600gt
Aspire 550w 24pin PSU

And all of this inside a nice Lanboy Case ;)

Well after about 24 hours of me messing with stuff, I finally got it figured out. I feel pretty dumb knowing that it was as easy as DISABLING RAID in the bios. Why is that a default setting? Hell if I know, but if anyone has problems using SATA, just remember, disable RAID in the bios!!

Its a gigabyte thing, and yeah I hate it too. I had to flash 3 different bios before I got 1 to work correctly. Ohh yeah make sure you download and put on a disk every bios version they have before you flash.

Sata drivers would be on the gigabyte website and on your motherboard cd.

Windows doesn't know what to do with SATA on XP Platform. You must always install SATA drivers (F6) when installing Windows. Gigabyte pretty much sucks about NOT giving you the driver on a floppy.

superbeetle173 said:
Windows doesn't know what to do with SATA on XP Platform. You must always install SATA drivers (F6) when installing Windows. Gigabyte pretty much sucks about NOT giving you the driver on a floppy.

Not "EVERY" motherboard / Xp installation requires you to load via floppy (F6) SATA/RAID Drivers.

Sometimes you have to , sometimes you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom