Hard Disk malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjiKiran

Solid State Member
Hey. I have a western digital(jb model) 200gb hard drive. I have had it since the technology was released but anyway onto my problem. I was in the middle of a game and then boom the whole thing locks up on me as I hear my hard drive shut down. Problem is now my hard drive does not want to detect at all. (I tried different ide cables as well as removing power from some of my drives to see if this was the issue). I had it connected to a ata controller card this whole time and the card doesnt want to detect it anymore and when I connect it directly to my motherboard(my MB has the ability to see 200gb hard drives).. it locks up during post and my 200gb drive makes that same on and off sound every second. My other 2 hard drives(and my windows drive) are 100% in working condition.. it is just the 200gb that is having this problem.

Anyone have any solution? maybe my hard drive just went bad?(also I have a 600 watt PS so I doubt its anything to do with power.. as well as I switched out the ide cable.. and the ata card/mobo seem to have trouble with it also). edit: well it might be possible for it to be a power supply issue.. jsut wouldnt understand why since I disconnected all my drives and tried that 1 alone

If in the event my hard drive is fubar is there anyway I can have my data saved and put onto a new hard drive I purchase and if so about how much would that cost?.

Need more information? just ask.. I didnt include alot about my specs considering it seems to be just a HD issue.

It sounds like that hard drive is gone. Are you getting the click-click, click-click noise? or like the sound of camera zooming in and out..lol. I dont know how to explain that sound.

IF no system can recognize the drive then it will be very hard for you to recover data. Most of the time you can recover data, but if it is a physical problem with the drive it is rare to salvage anything unless you send it to a professional service.

What you could try is buying an external drive enclosure and put this bad drive in there. Hook this up to an open USB drive and see if it will behave. Even if it doesnt show up in My Computer download the demo of this http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm and see if you can see the drive labeled DISK2 or something like that (you will be able to tell which drive it is or if it even see's the drive by its size) if it does see it run the LONG scan on this. Then if you see you can recover data you can buy it.

thats what I feared. Thanks for the information as it is very helpful in understanding more about my problem. I am getting the the type of click noise that happens when it first turns on cept it seems to happen over and over and over again so I immediately shut down to prevent any further damage to the drive. Ima take my hard drive to the shop during the week to have it tested on another machine... then my last resort would be the USB encasing part. Regardless ima need a new drive anyway =(. If neither work I dont know if proffessional services will be worth the cash.

actuallly.. this is the first western digitial drive ive ever had.. the other 2 are maxtors from the pentium 2 era(atleast the 20gb is). This is my only drive that I actually had to replace due to failure . Seagate ive always heard is a good company though so i'll probally check them out as I doubt I will be going western digital again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom