Ide Vs Sata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, and they need to fix the current problems with them DVD drives that i saw a few months ago, they don't work until motherboard drivers and the SATA drivers are installed in windows, so you would still need a IDE drive to install the OS and drivers....

gaara said:
some people argue that it is unreliable compared to other high speed interfaces (aka SCSI) however it really is the best hard drive interface on the market at the moment

Not to mention a helluva lot cheaper, for a marginal performance comedown. A decent-sized SCSI HDD will cost you an arm and a leg.

ok how does ultra ata fit in the mix? it is in between IDE and SATA, right? IDE=100mb/s, Ultra ATA=133mb/s, SATA=150mb/s? is it as simple as that or are there other benefits?

Hot swappable? Doesnt that mean you dont have to turn off the system to change it over?

Yes, the next generation of high speed removable hdd's will be sata and they are planning to have sata port capabilities on the rear io panel.

Only thing really wrong with SATA is that its new, and so support for it is still developing, and so theres alot of problems with installations. It does seem to me that I have small improvment in loading times with my sata drive, perhaps its just my mind playing tricks on me.

IDE includes ata 1-7

ATA 6 = Ultra ATA 100
ATA 7 = Ultra ATA 133

SATA = 150MB/s
SATA II = 300MB/s
SATA III = 600MB/s

Oh yeah and I've already seen external sata ports on add on cards, so yeah its going that way

I still use IDE drives because i have no need to switch to SATA and get 17 extra MB/s. not only that, but IDE Hard disks don't need drivers to work to their full potential. just plug them in, set them to master, slave, or cs depending on what you need, and your good to go. the only problems i've had with IDE disks have been my fault, i either forget about the jumpers or i forget to plug in the power connecter for it :p :p :p.

Sui said:
Only thing really wrong with SATA is that its new, and so support for it is still developing, and so theres alot of problems with installations. It does seem to me that I have small improvment in loading times with my sata drive, perhaps its just my mind playing tricks on me.

IDE includes ata 1-7

ATA 6 = Ultra ATA 100
ATA 7 = Ultra ATA 133

SATA = 150MB/s
SATA II = 300MB/s
SATA III = 600MB/s

Oh yeah and I've already seen external sata ports on add on cards, so yeah its going that way
Actually there's no such thing as SATA, SATA II, SATA III. At least not when it comes to HDD specifications. Don't get me wrong, I use those terms as well when discussing different SATA drives but they aren't truely appropriate. Read this and you'll know what I'm talking about: Dispelling SATA myths

I'm not trying to thread crap, just trying to drop a little knowledge on ya. :D

Actually I got those specs from a book, so perhaps they were misinformed. I don't really know about the 'fictional' specs (300MB/s or 3Gb/s), because until it ends up on a board in a comsumers hands its all just bullshit.

I noticed a decent difference when installing an SATA drive in my comp and installing win xp on a 10000mb partition. I had an IDE drive before hand and the SATA definetly cut my boot time in half for windows. Makes data transfer much faster as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom