DDR2? should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
I'm currently running 1 GB of dual channel DDR400 RAM. Question: Will I see an increase in performance if I install 2 GB of dual channel DDR2 RAM? I know that by virtue of simply having twice as much RAM, I will, but is DDR2 worth it? Also, what frequency should I (and can I?) get? 400? 533? I'm runnin a P4 3.4. Oh, and I read Elbatrop1's RAM guide of course.

Yeah, they're two different platforms...it's either one or the other depending on your motherboard

Negative. My mobo has 2 slots for DDR and 2 for DDR2. I knew someone was gonna ask that.

Anyway, should I go with the DDR2 533? In other words: Will 2 GB of DDR2 533 be better than 2 GB of DDR400?
Oh, and should I go registered or unbuffered? What's the diff?

I think you would see very little increase in performance from ddr1 to ddr2 but i suppose if u got good ddr2 ram (3-2-2-8 or better) it would be better than ddr400 but not much .. go with wateva is cheaper (at lowest latencys)

go with unbuffered ram, registerd ram and ECC ram is for servers. just go with non ecc and some unbuffered ram

woot6600GT said:
Anyway, should I go with the DDR2 533? In other words: Will 2 GB of DDR2 533 be better than 2 GB of DDR400?
Oh, and should I go registered or unbuffered? What's the diff?

Just so you know you cannot use DDR and DDR2 together. Either You use the DDR slots or the DDR2 Slots.

Let me know if this makes sense cause I am not sure but I am going to try to explain. Anyone correct me if i am wrong please. I have been trying to make sense of this.

Your processor has a 200x4 (800mhz)fsb. DDR400 runs at 200mhz a (double data soif runs like 400mhz) you have a 1:1 ratio. DDR533 has a speed of 266. So your running 266mhz ram with a 200mhz fsb, the fsb would be a bottle neck no? Or is it considered that the fsb is running at 800mhz and with the RAM running at DDR533, the RAM is the bottleneck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom