Socket 754 Build . . . Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I recently posted a build proposal for an Intel Celeron D 330J 2.66Ghz PC here: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=73205 . . .

In the post, I outlined how my bro and I proposed to build an Intel Celeron D 330J 2.66Ghz powered PC. The reasons for choosing socket 775 is because it expands the possibilities of upgrading to an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott processor in the future...

...Since then me and my bro decided to abandon the Celeron D spec proposal, and go for an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ build. We changed specifications to AMD Athlon XP because, a) It was a cheaper build, and b) An Athlon XP 2600+ performs better than an Intel Celeron D 330J 2.66Ghz build. But then we thought again and came to the conclusion that a Socket A build holds no potential for future upgrades...

. . . So, yet again, we changed our specification plan, scrapping the AMD Athlon XP build altogether, and moving down to an AMD Sempron 2600+ build, but not Socket A, but Socket 754. But why move from a Celeron D, to Athlon XP, only to move back down to the low end with a Sempron? The reason. . .so that my bro can upgrade to a Socket 754 AMD Athlon 64 processor in the future if he wants to, and benefit from what Socket 754 has to offer over Socket A.

I know I know...Socket 754 is outdated by Socket 939. However my bro doesn't plan on spending much money. He is acting strictly by keeping he's budget at no more than £120. So we decided a 754 build would be the cheapest cost effective solution, giving him a decent pathway to upgrade to the 64-bit era.

Our current build proposal stands here:

[color=orange-red]~ £51.98 - AMD Sempron 64 2800+ L2 256KB SKT 754
~ £40.00 - ASUS K8S-MX Motherboard
~ £16.75 - Corsair VS256MB400 DDR400 PC3200 DIMM[/color]

Total inc. VAT = £110.50

Do you think this is wise? Should be stick with the going nowhere Socket A build, or do you think the Socket 754 is a wise choice?

Or, do you think we should have stuck with the Socket 775 build...? Would a Socket 775 build hold more potential for future upgradeability than Socket 764?

754 isn't really going anywhere. I believe that there isn't any PCIE s754 boards, and AGP cards will soon not be around much longer. s754 is better than sA though. The best to go with is s939 (A64) or s940 (opteron).

Correction, there are a few PCIe 754 mobos out there. They're not really plentiful though, because 754 has been discontinued for the most part. If he's wanting to keep it upgradable, save your money now, till you can get socket 939. There's really no reason to go anywhere else besides socket 939. If you can't afford it, save for it.

There's no future in socket 754 past the AMD Athlon64 3700+

Ryan

A 754 build is not bad, people think jsut because its old doesnt mena its cheap. My computer performs all the things i o and want. So if you guys have just certain things you want to do then your good to go. A high-end pc will only last a few year jsut as the others before that time.

The only real bad thing about s754 is the PCI-E thing. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be. However, much like Shader Model 3, s939 is the future so you will be better off in the long run with a s939 chip.

Re:

Hello,

Thank you for your replies. I agree, 939 holds more of a future, but my bro is acting very strict on his budget.

He is gonna go for the 754. He just wants a system that gives reliable performance. It's better than socket A, and although it's outdated by 939, has some decent features.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:

There's no future in socket 754 past the AMD Athlon64 3700+

Ryan

Now wait.. little confused. Are there 754 socket + 939 socket Athlon 64 3700+? I thought when I was comparing CPU's before I bought that I found the Athlon 64 3700+ to be 939 socket... For what it's worth, I ended up going with the 3000+. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom