I hear a lot of people talking about idle temperature...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
But what's a suitable running temperature? I was idling at 94-95*F, and I was on counterstrike for about 15 minutes and I quickly restarted to check the temperature. It was bouncing between 99 and 100*F then. I assume this is normal considering I was running counterstrike at the time. I have another case fan here, 3 speed, that is not in use. I was going to rig it up somehow in my case but I figured I'd run what I have and monitor it to see if I need it. If anything I was going to use this for my hard drive, but perhaps I should adjust it to hit the area of the heat sink?

What's your average running temperature, assuming you're gaming hard and then quickly check the temp?

Also, what's a good program to check the cpu temp within windows without having to restart into bios to check it?

I've been worried about the thermal compound that I put on it. Since it's silver I feared it dripping over the edge and making contact with something it wasn't supposed to. When I did drop some in, I used like 1/3 of a pea sized amount in the smack dab center. After putting the heat sink on, I had to take it off to move some of the wires out of the way for better installation, and I noticed that the CPU had a nice circle in the center because the heat sink was secure against the cpu for a moment or two, not too close to the edge but seemed suitable enough to run very efficient. Any comments as to whether this is all well and good?

PhillipBelcher said:
I average about 95.5*f on idle, so you are rigth in there. Heres a link to a monitor for your motherboard, you can check that stuff out in windows, so you dont need to go into the bios.
http://pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7309,00.asp

My motherboard isn't listed, in fact MSI isn't listed at all. On msi.com they said something about changing their name to Accelrys, but that isn't even listed.

I guess I could always configure my mobo to shutdown at x-temperature. What would a good temp be to set at? I mean, would my cpu in normal gaming conditions ever see 115*F? Maybe I should set it there?

What CPU do you have? Your temperatures are pretty average i'd say..
My 3.0Ghz prescott idles at 35-45 C and 40-55 full load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom