Upgrading Comp for BF2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy

Baseband Member
I've been running BF2 on med-high and want to get my comp fast enough to run well on high. I have a couple pci slots, but no
pci-e. I'm lookin to spend around $500 max.

My current specs are:
P4 3.0ghz
2x512mb pc3200
radeon 9600xt 128mb agp 8x

Dose your motherboard support PCI-e?

If it dose i would be looking at a 7800GTX or GT and another stick of ram.

What about an AGP slot, as your sig shows an agp card there. If yes, consider a 6800GT, or go for a new motherboard and a new card. 7800GT, and $100 ish for a new motherboard?

Roger

Ya replace your AGP card, a plain PCI card is not worth the trouble.

I also agree a 6800GT AGP would serve you well. Unless they make 7800GTs in AGP, as far as I know they dont, but i could be wrong.

Or you could look at upgrading to a PCI-E mobo, it would be more future proof atleast, as AGP cards are getting phased out and there not making the high-end cards on AGP anymore, so eventually you will have to ditch AGP anyway.

The graphics card you have now is really your biggest bottleneck, but like someone else said, you could look at more RAM. BF2 really likes RAM... I would say get 2 more sticks of 512, or if you wana go all out, replace the 2x512 you have now, with 2x1gb. But getting 2x1gb will set you back about 200-250 depending on the quality of ram u get. That would leave you 250-300 still for a graphics card thou, which should be enough, havnt looked at 6800 prices lately thou, lol.

lol, your sig cracks me up!!!!!

Yeah, get a AGP 6600GT or if the money persists get a 6800GT.

Do 7800GT's even come in AGP versions?

If I were to get a new motherboard and a 7800GT or GTX, what price would I be looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom