Is it worth overclocking my AMD 64 3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riceball

Daemon Poster
I have recently bought a computer and i have an AMD 64 3200+ @ 2.2ghz. i've heard of overclocking buy i'm not sure how or if it's a big enough difference to do so. I've also heard that AMD's come overclocked?? Any knowledge of overclocking would be appreciated!! :D

The 3200+ is perhaps the most overclocking-worthwhile CPU there is out there. But I'm assuming that you have a older Socket 754 NewCastle since its running at 2.2Ghz. As for overclocking; A 2.2Ghz Athlon 64 is pretty good, but a 2.6Ghz Athlon 64 is FREAKIN good, if you see what I mean. Overclocking can make your system perform far better than how you buy it.

My 1-2-3 punch for learning how to overclock;

Start out by reading this.

Then move on to this.

And finally, once you've learned everything else, read this to overclock.

That is all you need to know to overclock your CPU.

Oh yea...this is also an excellent guide if you're still confused and it caters a bit more to Socket 754 CPUs.

Very nice! Thank you very much for the insight on overclocking, I had a general idea of what over-clocking was but never knew this much. This is a great thread and I think this should be stickied. Again very nice!

No prob. Those are the guides I learned to overclock with. After reading them, my skill went up like 10 quadrillion percent, lol. Before that, I was about ready to give up on overclocking because it seemed too hard for me to do. Now I could do it with my eyes closed.

Just a few pointers though -

Guide #1 - Its for both Athlon 64s AND Pentium 4s, so there will be some stuff in it that pertains to both architectures. If you're confused on something, simply ask about it here and we'll be happy to help you.

Guide #2 - Its the hardest to grasp, but also the most important since it explains to you how your PC works.

Guide #3 - Impossible to understand if you haven't read Guides 1 and 2. Its a quick overclocking guide but it has tons of misnomers. For examply, the HTT/FSB multiplier they refer to is actually called the "LDT Multiplier."

DFI Forums Guide - I haven't read all of it, but from what I read it seemed to explain everything nicely, but again, there are misnomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom