PC Switches Back To desktop While Playing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
I wasnt sure where to put this post but here it goes...

When im playing Battlefield 2 or Rome Total War the PC keeps switching to the desktop. Its just like a crash to desktop only the game keeps running and i can get back to it by clicking the program box in the taskbar. But its still annoying because its then got to spend half a minute (exagerated) loading the program back up and if im in the middle of killing someone or flying a chopper with firends in it when my game stops bad things happen.

Im not sure but i think its doing it even during tasks like writing this message accept it doesnt go back to the desktop but i have to re-click on the programs window somewhere, it happened just now as i typed the beggining of this paragraph.

I have had this problem before but it wasnt happening every 2 minutes while playing a game and it seemed to stop after a bit. This time its a lot more frequent and its been going on for a while. I have been on this PC for 6 hours though maybe i should turn it off.

I think there is some background program thats on some auto-activate thingy or probably refresh something. Not sure, no idea.

have you run a virus scaner, spyware detector? You have a program running somewhere thats doing that.

sounds like a virus dl avg its a free virus scanner it will do the trick also dl avast another good free virus scanner

entralinks said:
I think there is some background program thats on some auto-activate thingy or probably refresh something. Not sure, no idea.

That must be it. You see i have Norton Anti Virus but an automatic update gave me this pop up that comes whenever i disable norton (i have to disable norton to play games otherwise i get a big slowdown). When you click 'OK' on the popup it comes back after 6 seconds. There seems to be nothing in the options menu to turn it off that i know or can find.

So to play games i have to have that thing up (you cant minimize it) which results in this switchiing back to desktop problem as it would seem.

Click the link to see what it looks like: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/Westy159/NortonProb.jpg

Even with the duplicate option checked it still comes back. Ive looked in Windows Security alerts for the option but couldnt find it.

Sui said:
lol, sure there is its called uninstall

I dont think thats a option that i really want to take. Ive bought norton for £40 or whatever it was, and just now i had to renew it which is something you have to do once a year, that cost me £20.

If i uninstalled it wouldnt i have to renew it again? Also on the installation disc it says something like after 15 days the programs will not work so that it cant be copied. Maybe i can contact Norton about this issue. It never did it before but its been doing it lately.

I know a IT guy whos is very very skilled in about every thing to do with computers i will ask him but that wont be for a while.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could find it in their hearts to help me!

You might just be pressing a particular keyboard combination while playing your games. Are you sure your not accidently hitting the windows key or holding down Alt and then hitting tab? Both of these will take you back to your desktop with the latter switching you to another program if you have one running i.e. messenger. Might be something for you to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom