Windows XP SLOW / HDD / BSODS

Status
Not open for further replies.
- His HDD is prolly about less than a year old.

- we are currently trying to install drivers for an Onboard network device

- We will burn the backupfiles to a DVD then, and see maybe if that makes a difference.

- And yes we've uninstalled the device through the device manager, and reinstalled it. . .but with no drivers, cause it wont find them on the disc we have :S. It always just has that stupid little yellow triangle by it. Grr getting angrier. . .

Hmm a bios update eh? Where would I go about finding that though? And every time we put the thing back to either 'Fail-Safe Defaults' or 'Optimized Defaults', it seems to fail. But we can try again.

Alright Ill go check it out, although I dont know how we are gonna get it to his computer :p. Seems like a waste to put a 420kb file on a 4.7gb DVD. :D

Lame, well scratch that idea, because neither of us have floppy disk drives. Damnit. Ill have to go dig some up maybe. . .

Alright well good news, we have internet on it. And the computer is running at normal speed. Just the fact of the SUPER long boot time, (and its getting longer). We are gonna try running a game now, but that requires sending it over first, so Ill post again in about an hour probably. Thanks for bearing with me so far!

DAMNIT, we just tried running a game, and guess what! Frozen! So what now?!?!?!?

RIGHT after we reinstalled windows games were working fine, and then everything got messed up. Then (like I said before) we reformatted, reinstalled windows, and apart from the extreme windows boot times, the computer was working fine. Except when we open a game it freeeeeezes. Please, help. We're all out of ideas. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Note!: We just times his boot up time, and from the time we hit the reset button to the time we were back at a functional desktop, 16 minutes had passed. 16 MINUTES. That is excruciatingly long.

I would follow Makaveli213's advice of the virus scan and run checkdisc. you obviously have a corrupted file that you keep copying back after you reinstall windows.

it also seems that you are installing some poorly written software too. watch what you install and do a system restore on each program that you install and make sure you reboot the computer after each program that you install, so you can trace which program is giving you trouble

If you reformatted and reinstalled Windows, you need to download and install the chipset drivers for your mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom