6600gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
I know that currently the favoured mid range card is the 6600GT. But the question is, which brand? Which brand is better than the others in the areas of features and performance? I hear XFX is good because some of its cards are factory overclocked. But is this applicable for the 6600GT? I have $300 AUD to spend on a GPU to replace my ageing 9200se (which was never all that great to start with). It has to be AGP and it will run on a Athlon XP 2500+, 768mb Ram system.

Wayne

BFG has their cards pre-overclocked...the appropriately named 'OC' series....was unaware of XFX having such a series as well, but to hell with XFX...they have the worst record when comes to DOAs and cards dying and whatnot.

like sport has said, evga and leadtek would be my first two choices

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's noubt wrong with XFX in my books :) *waves XFX flag*.

Although as regards the 6600GT in general, personally, I'd save up a few dollars more and get a 6800GT. You'll still be CPU & memory bound in games like Far Cry, HL2, BF2 et all, but overall the 6800GT is still worth the extra cash for you.

a 6600GT will soon be considered a low-end card. i would say get a 6800GT if you can. but for brands, eVGA Leadtek, even gigabyte. XFX is a no go.

You have 3 thousand posts and you dont know the answer to this question, or know how to use the search?

Maybe he wants opinions from people that he knows and not from some biased website giving long-winded reviews.
Thanks Thendar for your support.

You have 3 thousand posts and you dont know the answer to this question, or know how to use the search?

I knew this would come up :confused:. I did do a few searches on other threads. I came up with a nice thread that somebody had posted a nice page that compares a whole bunch of different chipsets, but not models. Mabye i didnt try hard enough :mad: (bangs head against wall).

a 6600GT will soon be considered a low-end card. i would say get a 6800GT if you can. but for brands, eVGA Leadtek, even gigabyte. XFX is a no go.
6600gt low end??????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . If thats a low end, i might as well just stay with my 9200se. $300 AUD is my max budget. I may be able to stretch it to $320 but that equates to a better 6600GT. Check this out, this is a UT2K4 test on a whole bunch of graphics cards and there isnt really enough difference between the 6600gt and 6800gt for me to pay the extra $250 AUD (almost double). The 6600GT will let me play UT2K4 even better, HL2 even better, BF2 on medium settings, etc, etc.

BFG has their cards pre-overclocked...the appropriately named 'OC' series....was unaware of XFX having such a series as well, but to hell with XFX...they have the worst record when comes to DOAs and cards dying and whatnot.

You are right, i think. I get some of those GPU manufacturers with the three letters mixed up. For some reason, i dont think we get BFG over here. Ill take another look. Again, im wrong :eek:, some shops do stock them but not many, and the BFG 6600GT OC looks a bit pricy also.

At the shop im planning to buy from i have these choices:

Gigabyte 6600gt - 128mb
XFX 6600gt - 128mb
Asus 6600gt - 128mb
Another Gigabyte - 128mb - the speeds seem to be a bit faster 500/1120 the web site tell me.

I can afford all of them, personally i think the last one, its in my price range and its overclocked as well.

i think i will get the factory overclocked Gigabyte 6600gt, it has 128mb Ram, and runs at 500/1180 rather than the normal 400/1000 for a normal 6600GT.

last time I checked (which was months ago) BFG's overclock was quite minimal...nothing you couldn't achieve with any other decent card....the memory is different on some manufacturers, as you've noticed, but a 6600GT should all run at 500MHz stock...I don't think I've seen one that was 400MHz, I know my evga was 500/900 stock....looks like a lot of them are coming out as 1GHz stock these days.

The difference between a 6600GT and a 6800GT is quite a bit dude...I especially know since I had the 6600GT then used evga's step up program to get the 6800GT :p Seeing as how I had to buy another 6800GT but PCI-E I suppose I could do the step up program again and buy a 7800GTX, but I don't have enough money for that, plus this card is good enough...anywho, I realize though that over there in aus you get screwed with prices...well pretty much any overseas place gets ridiculous prices that I've seen. So I can see how the difference isn't enough considering the massive price difference for you

Looking at this the extra money for a 6800gt isnt really worth it in my opinion. The 6800gt is a better card than the 6600gt but since this one is overclocked i dont think the performance gains is worth the extra money. At that site, the 6800gt really shows itself off in 3dmark, but in everything else, the difference is that much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom