Help replacing Emachines T1840 MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadScientist

Beta member
Howdy All,

I'm pretty savy with building ground up comps but this is my first time tackling a brand box. I have a friend's Emachines T1840 with a clearly cooked MB. Other than the stock MB which is overpriced and out of stock, what are my alternative? Can I go with any MicroATX board? I don't believe my friend uses the box for much more than standard web surfing and office apps. Budget is probably a higher priority. I'm not sure of the cause of the burnout, caps are cooked next to CPU.

So my questions are:

Recommended MB?
Any chance of conflicts in an Emachines case?
Recommend replacing PS or any other components?

I understand NewEgg is about the best source for MB's but I'll take other suggestions.

Thanks for all your advice.

Eric.

Copied this off the website:

Intel® Celeron® Processor 1.80 GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Intel® 845GL Chipset
128 MB DDR (PC2100)
40 GB HDD 1
40x12x40 Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D (845GL shared)
AC '97 Audio
10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Stereo Speakers
6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d
AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details

Do Emachines present any issues for fit with aftermarket boards? Any features that make this board stand out? I'm trying to better understand the selection process. Any thoughts on replacing PS or other components? Thanks.

I have one of those, and to date, the only things on it that are original and still there are the case, dvdrom drive, cdrw drive, floppy drive, keyboard and monitor. Everything else is either missing or has been replaced. The mouse was replaced by another one identical to it, the speakers have died so they are long gone. I replace the whole motherboard with an Intel one and a Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, the RAM was upgraded several times, now has one stick of 512, I added a low cost case fan a long time ago, I replaced the CPU fan with a Mad Dog one after useing several Intel fans and the original with literally rubber bands holding it on, upgraded the hard drive a while back cuz the original Western Digital 40GB one was too small and too noisy, now has a quiet 160 GB Maxtor. I had to re-install the OS several times losing valuable data of course. It had XP Professional on it at one point, now it just has Home.

So here's the status compared to its original:

CPU: -
New: Intel Pentium 4 2.80AGHz 533 MHZ bus 1MB L2 Cache
Old: Intel Celeron 1.80 GHz 400MHz bus 128KB L2 cache

Motherboard: -
New: Intel D865GVHZ
Old: emachines Imperial IM845GL

Video card: -
New: Onboard. Not much more to say then that.
Old: Same. onboard

RAM: -
New: 512 MB upgradeable to 2 GB
Old: 128 MB upgradeable to 2 GB

Sound Card: -
New: Realtek (doesnÂ’t work, I use a different sound card)
Old: RealTek (did work)

LAN:
New: Intel PRO 10/100
Old: RealTek RTL8100B 10/100 (only works when it wants to)

HDD: -
New: Maxtor 160 GB 7,200 RPM EIDE
Old: Western Digital 40 GB 7,200 RPM EIDE Ultra DMA

The rest didnÂ’t change:
Optical Drive 1: - DVD-ROM
Optical Drive 2: - CD-RW
Floppy Drive
Monitor: - emachines 17-inch CRT
Peripherals: - emachines Standard Keyboard and emachines Scroll Mouse
Printer: - Lexmark Z-25
USB: - 6 USB 2.0 Ports, 4 in Back, 2 in Front Bezel

Intel is ok, moderately priced, but ASUS would probably serve better, when I got mine the onboard sound didn't work.

As long as the board fits in the case and uses the same chipset then everything should work fine. A newer MB will work with older hardware that is supports such as DDR ram, ATA hard drives ect and its really only a problem if you was trying to add an older MB than the one that came with it as it would then lack support for the newer components.......make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom