Low-End Brand-Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
I'll start out by saying that the following is not for me, its for my friend. Now just see, someone will think its for me, lol.

Ok, my friend wants to buy a new PC but his mom won't let him build it. Heck, she won't let ANYONE build it because she doesn't trust custom PCs. So he's stuck with brand-name PCs. He's limited to a $500 budget, hopefully including shipping.

He asked me what he should go with. I can come up with some decent ones but since he won't be upgrading what would be good for him?

Lastly, it would be best for his mom if he could just go and buy it at the store.

Best Buy always have E-Machines w/ AMD 64s in them for cheap, around that price. Check this weekend's Best Buy add.

I took your advice and checked out the best buy website, this is what i found;

Sempron system.

Its what he was looking for but I want to keep looking because I want to find him a 64-bit processor.

Checked out HP's website;

ATHLON 64 3200+!

Thats the best I've found yet. He'll need to upgrade some stuff though. Does HP do the same BS with windows that Dell does? Like, can it be installed on other HDDs?

Does HP do the same BS with windows that Dell does? Like, can it be installed on other HDDs?
Yes, HP uses the recovery partition. So, no, it can't be install on a different HDD.

One word Trotter; WOW.

EXCELLENT rescearch and I thank you with all my heart :) He's probably going to end up buying one of the ones you recommended.

Just one thing; On the very top one that you recommended, the specs say is a Socket 754 3200+ @ 2.0Ghz, but the reviews say that its a Socket 939...Beggars can't be choosers, but I'd still like to figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom