Floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multispindle

Baseband Member
Hi guys
I have just had a pc built and the problem is when I put a floppy in the drive it says disk needs to be formatted. I have pressed yes & no but nothing happens the floppy disks work ok in my other pc I have even changed the floppy drive which I bought today but still no look.
thanks
Im running it on XP

Formatting a floppy will erase everything that's on it.

New floppy disks usually need to be formatted before you can use them, although some come pre-formatted.

To format a disk, put the disk in the floppy drive, then open MY Computer and right click on the floppy drive icon. Select the "format" option and select your options, then format.

For a more detailed description on the options presented in the format section, see; http://www.helpwithpcs.com/tipsandtricks/formatting-floppy-disk-win-xp.htm

floppy

Does the light on your floppy constantly stay on? If so you might want to check the floppy cable and make sure that the colored strip is opposite from the red wire on the power plug connected to your floppy.

The light is of,but when I put a floppy in it sounds as if something is happening you can hear.I have tried a few different floppys but they do not work.I have tried to update the driver but it said the one which is on is ok.

Uninstall the floppy disk controllers from device manager.
Then deleted the following folder in registry
hkey_local_machine>system>current control set>enum> fdc.
Now restart the computer.
The floppy drive and controllers would get reinstalled. Try using the drive now.

@maverick_teck
I tried what you said and it reinstalled the floppy but now it says insert disc but there is already a disc in the drive.

Try restoring the comp.
I had the same problem once, although i didnt have a separate computer to check the fdd on.
Nothing solved the problem and finally i had to get a new fdd.

@maverick_teck
Tried restoring computer still the same and both fdd are new.There is another problem I dont no if they will be connected,when I go on to a web site or forum and if I click on a link and read the page then I want to turn that page off when I click on the X on the top of the page the page stops on .
thanks again

Hi
i am not sure that it will work but this worked on my computer
try to put another data cable to floppy drive or just take the cable out n put it back

Had this issue,, did all the testing,,

the drive was faulty in my case,, same message,,

Return the drive for a replacement,, your issue should be done,,

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom