amd64 3000+ > athlon 3200+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo214

Baseband Member
My question is about 64 bit procs, How good are the performance wise to the 32 bit ones?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

VS

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor

667MHz difference. Thats a difference you'll notice.

They are great, however the current price, and the lack of compatibility with 32-bit stuff doesnt seem worth it to buy at this time.

Im waiting for more compatibilty and the price to drop some more.

Another question to add.. so if we were going to buy a mobo and cpu should we go with the 64 processor just in case of further upgrading? Sounds like I answered my question but if you think otherwise let me know.

64-bit procs are better than 32-bit ones regardless of the 64-bit capability. Ofcourse they're more expensive, but you're getting your money's worth now, as well as in the future. A 64-bit processor right now will outperform a 32-bit processor even in 32-bit applications. But when 64-bit apps. come out, if you have a 64-bit proc then you'll see incredible performance from it, but if you have a 32-bit processor, then you'll be stuck in the 32-bit age.

They're not that much more expensive anyways...and nothing less will suffice for today's and tomorrow's games.

64 bit enviroments are still a long way away unless you're using workstation class applications...afterall, the first AMD64s were released I think two years ago now

As I said, AMD64 memory bandwidth is significantly better than Athlon XP systems...next year with the HTT bus combined with faster DDR2 memory interfaces will only further this gap

AMD64s are also much more efficent per clock cycle in both speed and power consumption

PhillipBelcher said:
They are great, however the current price, and the lack of compatibility with 32-bit stuff doesnt seem worth it to buy at this time.

Im waiting for more compatibilty and the price to drop some more.

Whow! so it could be incompatible with some (or most) of the 32 bit applications that you have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom